Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a girl I have is very sweet. She's very pretty. (like a beige/champagne hooded) She's got dark ruby eyes.
But her problem is that she is incredibly food focused. So much so that I can't give any of the other rats treats because she just muscles in and grabs it right out of their mouths or my hand. I have to hold her separate from them because she is so focused on getting the food. The other rats all wait their turn and are rather polite when getting treats, they take them gently, but not her. She's more food focused than my beagle dog used to be (and if any of you have owned beagles, then you know what I mean)

She also tends to chomp down on any fingers that even smell like food, even if I've washed my hands. She's never drawn blood, but she's been close. Even if I don't have any treats that's all she searches for and it makes spending any quality time with any of the other rats impossible because she thinks I'm giving them food and climbs all over them and my hands in search of them. I have to put her in a separate area just to spend any time with the other rats.

I've tried squealing/loud noise when she bites too hard, but that hasn't helped at all, it just made her afraid to come near my fingers. I don't mind the nibbling, just when she tries to take my freaking fingernail off is the problem. And when I try to just hang out with her, all she does is look for treats and won't let me pet her at all.

The rats get oxbow adult rat food every day (I top the bowl off in the morning and before I go to bed) and I give them fresh veggies.

Is there any way to fix this behavior?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Try immersion and you have to scold her. That's not acceptable and she needs to no that's or sh is not going to get better

1 - 2 of 2 Posts