Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my lovely two rats are doing just dandy except they are real biters! They are only about 2 months old so I knew they would be hyper active little guys, althought I never expected them to go zooming around the cage in the middle of the night loud enough to wake me up a couple of times lol. The only thing is they at starting to actually "bite"! At first it started out as nipping. Very gentle and never a problem. My sister has playing with Kinq a bit and he ran up and down her arm no problem.

I figured they started nipping fingers because I was feeding them with my fingers. So I started putting their food in a little tray so they dont associate my finger as food. What I usual do is let them sniff my fingers and then attempt to pet them. Kinq lets me no problem but if I do it for too long he makes his way to his little house and stays their with his head poking out. Dego on the other hand also use to nip. Never hard but it was a definate nip (hes the braver out of the two).

Well last night my sister wanted to play with Kinq again and I have no problem with that. From what she tells me she was petting Kinq when Dego came along and actually bit her. It looks like a broken blister(kinda how the skin looks on a blister) where he bit her, no blood though.

I fed them last night when I got back home and then after they were finished I attempted to pet Kinq. He was fine and just basically sniffed my fingers (I made sure I washed my hands so I dont smell like food! lol)
Dego then came down to where I was and started so sniff me so I allowed him. Outta no where I myself got a decent nip on the finger (no broken skin but I sure did feel it)

Why is he getting so nippy? Out of the two brothers Dego is by far the "boss" He gets first dibs on everything and stuff like that. By why is he getting so "nippy" How can I stop it? Will he grow out of it? Also is there a better way to continue the process of getting them use to me? Any help would be amazing!

-Thanx

·
Registered
486 Posts
Whenever they bite/nip you, do a loud eek! at them - It's rat speak for "Ow!".

I didn't believe that this actually worked until I got Mavis. I brought her home on Saturday, started to put my hand in and she'd nibble my knuckles, everytime she did I'd eek! at her. Now she doesn't nibble me when I put my hands in and it's only taken her less than 2 days to learn not to :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Gohma bit me hard-ish for the first time yesterday. I don't think she did it out of meanness or defensiveness though. Since rats have very bad eyesight, I figured she thought I was holding something for her. She did pull, as if she was trying to take my finger into her tent where she could eat in peace.... Maybe Dego thought you had something for him.

When my girls get a bit too nibbly I do something to distract them, then praise them when they respond to the distraction. I figure if that method works for nip training dogs, ferrets, birds, and other smart animals, why wouldn't it work for the world's smartest rodent? :)

I haven't tried "Eeking" yet, but apparently that works very well too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts