Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom and I recently discovered that my rats tooth is extremely long. Most likely too long, because it is making his upper lip bulge on top, and he has difficulty eating. We looked at his mouth, and his tooth doesn't fit where it is supposed to, but it is up there between his gum, and lip. Any advice? any idea how much it is to get his tooth cut? We believe that wood won't grind his tooth down, because he isn't able to use it. Is it possible to do it yourself? Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would probably go see a vet just to check it out. Especially if he has difficuly eating. And by the way Welcome to the forums :D
There are alot of information on these forums that will help you alot. :D

-Austin

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Sounds like malocclusion. He'll need his teeth cut, probably every two weeks. You could probably ask the vet to show you how so you can do so after that. Some vets will compromise for cheap visits for teeth trims, some won't.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Forensic your smart how long have you had rats for? You know alot of things about them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys. I bought him and his brother about 2 years ago, when they were very little. Probably about 2 months old. His brother died about 3 months ago, and since then its been down hill. First he lost the use of his two hind legs, and is now dragging himself around with his 2 front legs. Then we just noticed the tooth thing. Any idea what could be wrong with him? Has anyone had this happen to their rat?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Only about a year, to be honest. I just read an awful lot. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Oh only a year I thought longer :D

Awwww he lost the use of his hind legs, poor little guy it makes me want to cry :cry:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
CMichelleM said:
Thank you guys. I bought him and his brother about 2 years ago, when they were very little. Probably about 2 months old. His brother died about 3 months ago, and since then its been down hill. First he lost the use of his two hind legs, and is now dragging himself around with his 2 front legs. Then we just noticed the tooth thing. Any idea what could be wrong with him? Has anyone had this happen to their rat?
He could have lost a tooth, or broken one, or something similar. Since rats generally shorten their teeth by grinding them together, when one is missing, the other grows very fast. Hopefully nothing traumatic happened to cause this, just a natural consequence of age, perhaps. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
AustinXAPMX3 said:
Forensic what are your rats names?
Er... Bacardi, Pernod, Guinness, Baileys, Puck, and Jack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah his other tooth is broken in half. Thanks that makes since. I wish i could cut his tooth myself to avoid the cost...but any idea how much it would cost to get it cut?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
CMichelleM said:
Yeah his other tooth is broken in half. Thanks that makes since. I wish i could cut his tooth myself to avoid the cost...but any idea how much it would cost to get it cut?
Probably whatever your vet charges for a regular visit plus a bit. Could you ask when you call for the appointment for an idea as to if he'll charge extra (and how much) for the trim?

He'll probably also want to look to be certain the broken tooth won't cause an abscess at its root, which can be painful or worse. :?

·
Registered
517 Posts
How are you so smart? :lol:
Hopefully il be as smart as you soon when i read alot and get some ratties.
I will be getting them for X-Mas I cant wait!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forensic said:
CMichelleM said:
Probably whatever your vet charges for a regular visit plus a bit. Could you ask when you call for the appointment for an idea as to if he'll charge extra (and how much) for the trim?

He'll probably also want to look to be certain the broken tooth won't cause an abscess at its root, which can be painful or worse. ?
well thank you. so is there a humane way to put a rat to sleep at home, because if we get his tooth cut, then theirs also that risk that he'll still die.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
In my opinion, no, there is no humane way to put a rat to sleep at home. The risk of harming the rat is too high.

Cutting the tooth, if done right, shouldn't result in anything that will require euthanasia, I wouldn't think. :?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Like what, exactly? If you cut to the quick, it could get infected, yes, but a round out antibiotics and such could clear it up, or the removal of the tooth. :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alright well thank you. i'm going to find out how much it would be to cut it, or trim it. thank you for the help!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts