Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still live with my parents, and they have always supported my having rats. However, my dad has specified the rat limit as two because he knows that I spend money on them and do regular vet care for them. He doesn't understand the whole vet/rat care. "Why spend $100 on a $5 animal?"

Anyway, as some of you probably know I have four rats, two of which I rescued from a really bad situation on craigslist last month, and I have been keeping them secret. My dad never comes upstairs. Well, I decided that I might as well get it over with! Rip it off like a bandaid! So I brought them both downstairs in my pocket and plopped my dumbo baby on his chest, said "Meet Cheshire!" He groans and mentions that he can't believe I got another rat. Then Renegade popped his head out from my pocket and I pointed him out and said, "...Aaaand Renegade!" He laughed and after about a half hour of them watching the Walking Dead with us and Reny pouring on his impossible charm, he warmed up and it all worked out! I think he really likes them too. Though he is concerned about the financial burden, I reassured him I'd manage like I always do.

Figured I'd share this happy moment because I was really excited and relieved to stop hiding them like little escaped convicts lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh that's so awesome!! My dad was always against rats, he hated that they lived such short lives, "Why do you have them when they're just going to die and upset you in a few years?" but my mom has always liked them, so back when I was in like 2nd grade, my mom went out and bought two little boys! My dad was so mad at first, but then one day I walked into the kitchen and he had one in his hoodie pocket and one on his shoulder! They're such charmers haha!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hahaha that is such a cute way of introducing them to him, and its pretty cool that he isn't angry! :D
I'm living independently from my parents (uni student) but they probably will still moan when I tell them that I got more rats...
Good on you for rescuing those boys!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts