Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my room gets kinda cold at night and I'm suspecting there is am minor draft as I see the clothes swaying, but I can't really do anything about it, the window is as closed as it can be (and covered up), I cannot feel the draft just see it and I can absolutely not move the rat cage and cannot cover it up as it is a large monster at way over a meter tall and almost meter long and square shaped.
What to do? Would cardboard do anything at all?

·
Registered
383 Posts
A wind breaker may be good. It won't help the ambient temperature; if it's cold in your room, it'll be cold in the cage. But you could stop the draft from hitting your rats directly. Cardboard or a length of cloth attached to the side of your cage probably would help a little bit.

I'd been worried about my rats being near my window, but they seem to function fine. I provide shredded paper for them to make nests out of. I also provide patches of fleece, but they didn't utilize them to my surprise. I thought they'd at least pull it in to make a little blanket fort, but nope. When they sleep, they'll huddle together in a box. Sometimes they'll make use of the shredded bedding; other times they seem fine without it.

I read that rats have a higher temperature because of their metabolism, so cooling off isn't so bad for them. Also, they have fur. Combined, maybe rats can tolerate cooler temperatures better than we can (can anyone verify?). They are still smaller, so I'd have to think they would still lose body heat faster than us, but they do already have a fur coat (unless you have hairless rats).

But I think you're on the right track by blocking the draft. Just provide them opportunities to keep themselves warm. They might not need them, but it's good to have options.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts