Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat Peyton is swaying her head from side to side. She does it slowly and while standing still just staring. I'm very concerned because she has not always done this. I'm not sure if it's a behavior thing or health issue so I will post this in both. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Does Peyton have pink or red eyes? If so then it's just her way of helping to gage her surroundings since they have poorer eyesight than black eyes rats.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her eyes are pinkish yes. Does this mean she could be going blind or something?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Not blind, just poor eyesight. Rats don't have the best sight anyway and red/pink eyes are worse. The swaying is her attempt to get everything in focus.

·
Registered
437 Posts
No don't worry, their eyesight is just poorer but it doesn't deteriorate any further. My pink eyes girl and boy sway all the time, especially if they are somewhere unfamiliar or something is moving nearby. It doesn't affect their wellbeing at all, it's just a little trait they have.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've noticed her being a bit skittish aswell. Do you think this is because she cant see as well?

·
Registered
437 Posts
It could be related, my pink eyed girl isn't skittish but she can be hesitant of certain things. You mentioned she hasn't always done it, how long have you had her and is the skittishness a recent change in behaviour?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Is she having any other problems such as wobbling or weakness? Lack of coordination? If not, then it is just simple "trying to see better" head sway.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have only had her less then a month but i only just noticed it

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That may be a problem. I always make sure my rats are super comfortable around everything so a sudden movement doesn't cause even a flinch. I introduce them to as many new experiences as possible to learn. I can try to just train her to be an exceptional shoulder rat I guess

1 - 12 of 12 Posts