Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is river http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/grawrisher/Mobile Uploads/20141101_223351_zpseab9ownz.jpg

She's really very precious she was a "medium rat at petco then she became a "companion rat" in a box then she became "my pet rat river" anyway sometimes she leans forward over her hands and sways? Like she's trying to look at something far away...but she sways? Is it normal for rats to sway? Should I be worried? She's done it since I got her and I'm just curious if that's normal at all? Does she have poor vision that's causing it?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I can't tell from the picture but does she have red eyes? Sometimes red/ruby eyed rats sway because it's helps them see better and gage distances a little better. I have several red eyed girls and they all do this.

Does she attempt to jump a lot when free-ranging? One of my girls (who has black eyes) tries to jump onto everything and she'll sway before she jumps.

Other than that i'm not sure! :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's normal :) My girl Sansa does it, it *is* so they can see better and tell how far away things are, it may be more in rats with large eyes because Sansa has black eyes but has the largest eyes (the kind that sorta stick out) this is just a guess though. She doesn't seem to have worse vision than any of the others.
View attachment 191201

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
River has dark ruby eyes I'm glad it's normal..lilith has pink eyes and doesn't do it so I wanted to make sure it was normal she doesn't jump much but she's getting really big so she's figured out if she just stretches her body she doesn't need to jump

1 - 4 of 4 Posts