Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea where to ask this. I am an anxious person and a lot of the times my palms get sweaty. Even when I'm not anxious, they still sweat. Apparently my rats like that taste and they'll lick my hand but it usually ends up with me being bitten. Because of this I usually wear gloves or I don't let my fingers go near their mouths. But I'd like to be able to handle them normally without the fear of being bitten.

Is there something I can put on my hands to make them not so appetizing? Would baby powder work?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
im not sure if baby powder is good for them do ingest

maybe if lemon is to sour (which i doubt it is) they wont lick you, but you are supposed to stay away from citrusy ness sorry i wasnt any help at all

·
Registered
517 Posts
When they bite you make a squeek sound so they know it is hurting you, im probably no help either

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
How do they bite you? Do they lick and lick then get a bit enthusiastic and scrape their teeth next then grab you? Are they breaking the skin or drawing blood?

If you find they are getting rough then you just need to eep at them and let them know in rat language that "it hurts, stop doing that, its not acceptable"...most rats will stop and look at you. They may forget so you'll have to do it again quite a few times.

Don't worry about the sweaty palms, just expect a rat lickbath all the time :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lilspaz68 said:
How do they bite you? Do they lick and lick then get a bit enthusiastic and scrape their teeth next then grab you? Are they breaking the skin or drawing blood?

If you find they are getting rough then you just need to eep at them and let them know in rat language that "it hurts, stop doing that, its not acceptable"...most rats will stop and look at you. They may forget so you'll have to do it again quite a few times.

Don't worry about the sweaty palms, just expect a rat lickbath all the time :)
It usually starts with a lick or two, fallowed by a hard nip. So far only broke the skin twice but didn't bleed. It was enough to hurt though. Sometimes they just graze me with their teeth, but they do that on my arms and since they haven't bitten me hard there, I consider that grooming but I still brace myself for a bite.

Eeping.. I'll try that, but I'm not expecting anything. :/ I've made the 'psst' noise I do with my cats and they stop for maybe a moment, but then go back to my hands.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I often say gentle when they are licking and getting a bit too excited and deepening the voice when they are going beyond my comfort level. Then once they settle down again I tell them they are good girls/boys :)

If its starting with licking then they are just not respecting you and you'll have to make them do that by becoming the alpha of the group. :)

If they are getting too excited, remove your hands. You don't want it to be a habit.

This is a video of a pair of new boys. The black one Otto is very nervous (1.5 years old and never been handled) on his 2nd day, but after a week home with me he's doing very well and figured out that biting on my finger to drag it away was not nice, so now he gently licks. :) You will see when he goes beyond my comfort level and how I deal with it.

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/rattiluv/Smokey and Blackie/?action=view&current=DSCF3766.flv

The good thing with your girls is if they are starting by licking, its not an aggression issue more a respect issue on their part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts