Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I didn't know if this should go under the health section or what, but I have a question about food. For the past year or so, I have been feeding my two ratty boys a seed mix I get from Pet Food Express. It has sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, peanuts and pellets of unidentified type = ). It says it is nutritionally balanced and complete.

The problem is, I took them to the vet, and he said Smoky and Little Guy are a little overweight. Smoky definitely is--you can see his (adorable, juicy) rolls. The vet recommended changing their diet to something with less seeds--less protein and fats. He also recommended I feed them about 20-30 percent vegetables (which I already am doing), in their diet.

So basically, I need to switch to another type of food.
What kind might you experienced rat people recommend? I need to know, specifically, where to buy the food.
I want to buy it online, if possible, because everything seems to be cheaper online! = )

If any of you know a good website, a good type of food to get, please please let me know. I have heard lab blocks are good, but don't know where to get them.

Thanks!

BTW, the buys get plenty of exercise, so I know that is probably not the issue.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Most pet store rat diets are pure crap, including the one you're describing. Naturally it'll say it's a good food on the bag since the company wants to sell their product. You can have a look at my diet page to find some better foods: http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/ratfeeding.html

There's also a great sticky at the top of the Health section on diet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
make sure you give them their fruit! :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I use Harlan Tekland and Suebee's mix, both of which are detailed in the food sticky in the Health section of this forum. Plus veggies, fruits, and other people foods for variety.

HT is very cheap, $1 or so per pound most places and lasts for a long time. I bought like, 15 pounds of it for a little over $20 probably three months ago, and I've used less than half. It's some of the best rat food you can buy, though there is some discussion about that in the diet sticky. Give that a look! It can be bought through a lot of rescues in small amounts, which is great because then you're also helping ratties and the people whom help them! Kim's Ark Rescue or Mainely Rat Rescue are two fabulous rescues which I have dealt with and they offer it, I think.

·
Registered
549 Posts
pooky said:
Too much fruit is bad for ratties, its basically nothing but sugar. Keep that in moderation and give a lot of veggies

·
Registered
393 Posts
glindella said:
pooky said:
Too much fruit is bad for ratties, its basically nothing but sugar. Keep that in moderation and give a lot of veggies

Fruit definitely isn't nothing but sugar. Some fruits can have excellent nutritional benefits just like some veggies. They are, however, definitely higher in sugar. Because of that I always say fruit should be given a few times a week and veggies daily :3

·
Registered
393 Posts
Why Harlan Teklad 8604? That's far too high in protein for adult rats and even on the higher side for young rats or nursing/pregnant mothers. Why rice crispies? What health benefits would that have? What kind of lettuce? Why only broccoli and lettuce as veggies? Rats should get various veggies daily and fruits a few times a week as far as fresh foods go.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I agree with Darksong17 - 8604 is even a little too high in protein for growing/pregnant/lactating rats. And ratties do better on a diet rich with variety. There are a TON of veggies, herbs, and fruits that you can feed your ratties! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ideas, guys! I am definitely going to get the Harland Teklan from theratshop.com, that seems like the unanimous favorite. Hopefully they will lose some weight! I will post Xmas pics soon!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
No problem! Grab some Harlan Teklad 2014 for your fuzzies (it's the best formula for adult rats that aren't nursing or pregnant). Good luck with the weight loss!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
8604 was endorsed by reputable rat organizations at one time but from my understanding most have retracted this recommendation because the protein is far too high. Now they suggest the 2014 for adults & 2016 or 2018 for the young & growing rats or pregnant & lactating rats.

Good luck with finding it, online or otherwise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts