Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I just realized that I can buy a 25lb bag of Mazuri rat food at Murdoch's for $23 which sure beats the price of Oxbow from Petsmart. Is this an okay switch? And is the "Mazuri Rodent" rat and mouse food the correct type for me to buy? If I switch can I just start giving them the new food or do I have to slowly switch them by mixing the old and new foods together?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well it has alfalfa which rats can't really digest it well. Also has corn, which I'm gonna bet is uncooked. (Rats can eat cooked corn just fine).
If you do make the switch however, you would need to slowly switch the mixes. Probably over the course of at least 1 week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Definitely do mix if you switch. Usually bags of food say that on the package. I believe it's 1/3 new for a few days, 2/3 new for a few days, then entirely new.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well it has alfalfa which rats can't really digest it well. Also has corn, which I'm gonna bet is uncooked. (Rats can eat cooked corn just fine).
If you do make the switch however, you would need to slowly switch the mixes. Probably over the course of at least 1 week.
What problems, if any, does uncooked vs cooked corn pose? My girls have, what I believe is, uncooked corn in their mix. They seem to really like it.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I would just caution because Mazuri has high protein which is ok for young or pregnant rats but too much for adults.

Corn is pretty much just filler. It isn't very healthy for them or us even honestly. It being a main ingredient doesnt speak that well. There is also some worry about dried corn containing a high risk of mold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts