Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My guys are just now 6 months old and I read in another thread that they should be switched over from juvenile to adult food. They have been eating Oxbow since they were pups and I decided to gradually mix in the adult version (pelleted) over a few weeks until they were 100% adult. However, the boys behavior over their food has changed.

They now squabble as they approach the bowl and become almost frantic over the new food. The chase and try to steal the food from each other. The other day I thought I might lose a finger or two because they were so intense. I returned to using 3 part adult pellets to 1 part juvenile blocks and they appear to be more relaxed. Less bickering and frantic running around.

Would it be harmful to continue the mixture of adult and juvenile? I know the protein content I higher in the juvenile, but don't want to encourage the unacceptable behavior. Can any of you come up with a reason for this behavior?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
It is probably because young oxbow doesn't taste very good but adult oxbow tastes amazing. To rats...I haven't tried it lol

Many rats do not enjoy the taste of young rat and some really have to fight to eat it. While the adult oxbow is an entire different formula and seems to be well liked.

So u just went from feeding them something not very yummy...to something very yummy. It makes sense that they would get excited about it.

I would not mix them. The young formula is too high in protein and IMO not even a good quality compared to the adult.

They will relax once they get used to the new food. Make sure there is enough in their dish so they are not running out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts