Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home for the week to realize that my older rat had a swelling face. Mostly on the right side of her face where her eye is also caked with dried blood. She's getting skinnier and had patchy fur in some places. Does anyone know what might be wrong with her? What can i do to make it better? She doesn't seem to be In pain.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Rats never really seem to be in pain...They are tough like that. Can you see if there is any scratch around her eye? Any pus? Is it blood or Porphyrin? If its rapid weight loss she needs antibiotics and a vet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got some images of the injury; under her jaw. It doesn't seem to be causing difficulty eating, but it does look infected. I'm thinking she just got in a bad fight. I'll try to attach some photos but I'm having some trouble, thank you for your input, I'll most likely be taking her to the vet on my day off if I can find a vet that takes rats near here. Even if the injury heals shes still very skinny and that's a reason in itself.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Good plan, I think a vets visit is definitely in order. The strange smell is worrying and it sounds like she has an infection, and with her losing weight too it could be any number of things. Good luck at the vet!

·
Registered
952 Posts
The smell can be a side effect of infection. The weight loss along like you said has got me worried. Most infections would be cleaned off and then they would be given antibiotics to help prevent further infection. Do you have a separate cage for your rat? Clean bedding daily and clean cage daily are needed for healing. I used a 10 gallon tank I had for the degloved tail Shakespeare had. Just change the fleece daily as loose bedding can aggravate the wound further. And rinse out the extra cage every 2 days or so if not daily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for your suggestions and thoughts; I did bring her to the vet and she has either an infected root in her tooth or an infected abcess.. We have her on medications and seperate from my other rat; though I let them have time together while I'm around. If we don't see improvement within a few weeks of the medication we are taking her back to get it removed.
It also seemed to have gotten worse overnighrt; as if the wound got deeper. She's only eating soft foods.
Thank you again for your time and helpful advise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts