Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my roommate's rats has a swollen eye. She's about a month and a half or two months old (my roommate got her about two weeks ago). She lives in a cage with two other rats that are about six months old. Only one eye is swollen- not the other. We think it might be from getting into a little fight with one of the older girls- is there anything else that it can be?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
If the eye itself is swollen she may have scratched it. You can buy and put on things like polysporin for eyes ointment. It has a small amount of abs in it and will keep the eye moist. The worst thing is if they dry out and this must be prevented at all costs.

Is the eye just a bit swollen or is it really bulging?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The area around the eye is what's really swollen... it's kind of like it's starting to swell shut. My roommate also said that it's lost a little bit of it's shimmer, too.

Regardless, she's quarentining the rat from the others until it either clears up or we figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
No point taking her away from her cagemates, they have already been exposed to anything contagious and its unlikely to be. You'll just end up with an unhappy rat that you have to reintroduce to her friends. :(

Can you take a pic?

I am going thru an eye injury with one of my rats so I can tell you how bad it is :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts