Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat seems to have swollen testicules, they're red and irritated looking, I'll try to get a picture up, but besides that he seems to be acting normal, although it was extremely hot today, he mostly just lazed about, do you think it could be an allergic reaction to the shavings, or that they could pose as an irritant because he was on YN before... ? I'm confused and a little scared because my vet is not in on weekends :(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The boys' testicles do change size depending on temperature... If it's cold, they'll withdraw closer to the body and appear completely furred, if they're hot they may descend very low and appear red and furless... Hopefully that's all it is?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Oh come now, Matt, I'm sure you realize humans do the same thing to a lesser degree.... :lol:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
{{{ shakes head }}}

I'm not sure how to respond to this thread lol. Renay don't panic. If you're really worried perhaps you can make a call to the e-vet and ask. They might recommend you wait until monday to bring him in, if at all.

also I apologize for asking this but do they feel hard?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no they're not hard, as much as i didnt like violating him i've come to the conclusion that forensic must be right, i'm hoping anyway... any other suggestions are welcomed, feared but all the same welcomed...

·
Registered
941 Posts
MopyDream44 said:
{{{ shakes head }}}

I'm not sure how to respond to this thread lol.

lol...Oh Yeah, Thanks Forensic...lol

Um, May I ask, What does it matter if they are hard?...
*trying not to laugh while typing* *trying not to laugh while typing*

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Come on, I think some need to be a little more mature about the situation here.

Has the swelling/redness seemed to have down any since you've first posted?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Matt said:
MopyDream44 said:
{{{ shakes head }}}

I'm not sure how to respond to this thread lol.

lol...Oh Yeah, Thanks Forensic...lol

Um, May I ask, What does it matter if they are hard?...
*trying not to laugh while typing* *trying not to laugh while typing*
Because that could indicate infection, tumor, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
renay said:
do you think it could be an allergic reaction to the shavings, or that they could pose as an irritant because he was on YN before... ? (
I am hoping you dont have your rats on wood shavings..

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
panther said:
renay said:
do you think it could be an allergic reaction to the shavings, or that they could pose as an irritant because he was on YN before... ? (
I am hoping you dont have your rats on wood shavings..
Panther, aspen shavings are just fine for rats. Only softwoods with the phenols are a health issue, hardwoods are just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i see, i was told by my vet to stay away from all wood shavings so i avoid them all. the dust can cause problems apparently

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Dust in anything can cause problems, including in paper bedding. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts