Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sylvester has something wrong with his eye (I think). My right hand is injured right now and I can't drive, but i'm trying to find someone who can help me take him to the vet. I have ordered some revolution online and it should get here in another week or so, and I have some baytril I can start him on until I can get him to the vet. I took a few pictures, if anyone has any ideas please share. It might be a few more days until I can get him to the vet, and his eye has been like this for a few days already. I clean it off a few times a day for him.

And this one because it's cute

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Looks like porphyrin to me. I wouldn't give him anything until you've seen the vet... Different antibiotics work for different things, and if you give antibiotics without needing a reason, you can end up with antibiotic-resistant rats.

I don't see any injury, but perhaps it's not showing up in the photos. If there is an eye injury, most likely, they would put him on eye drops, not an oral med (but not always, mind you).

Since it's thick, and you said you wipe it off a few times a day, I'd get him in to a vet soon, if I were you if he's showing any indication of being sick. Better safe than sorry.

He's a cutie in the last pic, though. Aw.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I don't know how well reccommended this is, but my hairless ALWAYS manage to get gunky eyes at some point, and I use saline drops to flush them out. Usually one flush will clear it up, but on occasion I have to flush a couple of times a day for 2-3 days. Mind you, that is if it appears to be just a porphyrin build up - if there's any inflammation or redness, I'd reccommend getting the vet to check it out first

If it's an eye infection, I've been given Maxitol (or something like that) eye drops to use - they're an antibiotic anti inflamatory thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts