Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to play with my boys Smoky and Little Guy. I let Smoky play on my bed, the usual play spot, while I shredded some paper for them, and then when I tried to find him he started freaking out. He is now squeaking for no apparent reason, about every three minutes or so. Also, he is nibbling a little on the end of his tail. He doesn't want me to touch or comfort him (not unusual for him--he is an anti-social sort of guy, but even more so today!). I cleared out a little spot in the cage and fed him some carrots, oats, red bell peppers. I don't know what to do, other than take him to the vet tomorrow. I checked to see if he could have gotten into anything he shouldn't have. The only suspect things were old orange peels and a vegan multi-vitamin (which was still whole). I know rats are not supposed to have orange peel, but I thought the damage would be done over time, not immediately? Any ideas on what the cause is, or what I should do? Should I quarantine him? I have a mouse problem in our house, could they have infected him with anything?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,641 Posts
Sounds like a tail injury, they often lick the painful bit of their anatomy. There's not a lot you can do, but keep an eye on it and watch for improvements today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
fridayinluv said:
I know rats are not supposed to have orange peel, but I thought the damage would be done over time, not immediately? ?
Why would you feed them orange peels if you knew it wasn't good for them? :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,641 Posts
Males cannot have orange peel, the limonene-d in the rind causes testicular cancer I believe? Over time of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dreadhead said:
fridayinluv said:
I know rats are not supposed to have orange peel, but I thought the damage would be done over time, not immediately? ?
Why would you feed them orange peels if you knew it wasn't good for them? :(
Silly! They got into it by accident.

Anyway, it is all resolved on its own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
lilspaz68 said:
Males cannot have orange peel, the limonene-d in the rind causes testicular cancer I believe? Over time of course.
Kidney cancer, caused by a build up of natural protein that the D-Limonene has attached to. (Yes, I cheated and googled lol)

But D-Limonene is found in not only orange rind, but the juice and some flavourings (according to RMCA). o_O

But yes, I agree - it would take time and a regular intake before any problemds occurred (I think I read that it would take two cups of orange juice to cause cancer - so I doubt anyone would feed them that much)
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top