Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Coconut had a little injury in the tip of her tail a couple weeks ago, I treated it and a scab formed there. It seemed okay. Now an hour ago they were free ranging on my bed when I suddenly noticed that Pita was biting the scab off Coconut's tail and it was bleeding a lot. They both plus my bed had blood stains. I separated Coco in a smaller cage, and i cleaned the wound with salt water. I also dipped it in corn starch but she just licked it off. What should I do? Just wait? :( I'll try to attach a few pics (they're bad sorry) image1 (1).JPG image2 (1).JPG

·
Registered
130 Posts
Has the tip of her tail been de-gloved? I'm not sure how well those injuries heal and you should probably get her to a vet, as anyone here will tell you. In the meantime keep soaking it in warm salt water several times a day. I'm always getting nasty wounds and I've had success with http://www.zimsusa.com/first-aid/zims-advanced-gel/, I would try that if I were in your situation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't think it's de-gloved. It looks better now after the night. Thank you, I'll do that. Unfortunately they don't seem to be shipping that gel to Europe :(

·
Registered
952 Posts
Soak it 3 times a day in sailine solution. 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt in 8 oz glass of warm water. Raw honey is a great way to help prevent infection. Keep her on clean bedding such as fleece.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'd echo the above but if it doesnt clear up in a week, or it looks infected or starts creeping up the tail then you need to get her to the vet and have it amputated to a healthy bit, or you risk a systemic infection which can kill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts