Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed today that Jalino has a weird bump on the tip of her tail. It looks almost like the head of a pimple - small, raised, white. Honestly, it seems like an extremely minor degloving, but I don't know where the injury would have occurred. She seems fine, and doesn't show signs of pain when I inspect it. Can anyone offer an opinion? The rat guide says that minor degloving injuries will dry and heal without treatment. Should I just be vigilant?
DSC00477.jpg DSC00476.jpg

·
Registered
664 Posts
Looks like a tail nail. They're very common in rats. It's just normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Strange, I just noticed this on Opie for the first time today and was wondering what it was.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Tail nail is often actually some scale, rather than bone, If you pinch it lightly you will feel that its not hard and bone like but slightly hollow and springy. These grow a little bit and one day they just drop off and the tail is back to normal again. One of mine recently caught theres (or someone, possibly them, nipped it off) and it bled a bit but was fine within about 30 mins

1 - 7 of 7 Posts