Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I never! I remember that someone posted a good while ago about their rat wagging their tail, but I can't find the post or remember what the story was.

Our eldest rat, who is 18 months old now, was enjoying a good back/neck/head rubbing when I noticed she was wagging her tail when I was rubbing the top of her head. She is in heat, but I've never noticed her do it before when she was in heat.

I think it might be something to do her starting to become a squishy. This makes me happy and sad at the same time. We're getting to see the best of our girl, but I realise that it is the beginning of the end.

Either way, the tail wagging was great! She looked like she was totally zoned out. In the meantime, our 8 month old went and fetched a paper towel and put it on her tail :lol:

·
Registered
814 Posts
hhmmm The only time i've seen my boys wiggle their tail, they were telling a cage mate to back off :mad:. They only did it when they were in a bad mood lol. However doesn't sound like that with your girl. Maybe it was an "I like" kind of when dogs shake their legs? lol

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Tail "wagging" can have many reasons. The usual is when they are frightened or nervous. But there is also when they are happy while being stroked or loved. :) I had a very active independent girl who would charge under my arm, and totally freeze when I was stroking her, but that tail would be waggling away. I personally thought that she was just such an active girl that even when she was perfectly still some part of her had to be twitching. :roll: She was doing this at 8-9 months old (I adopted her at 6 months). I do not think its an old thing at all, Donna. :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good to hear... it was soooo cute! She looked like she was in heaven. :D

Maybe it's more to do with her growing closer to me lately. I've been working really hard with her, since she bit me that time and we went through a bitey phase. I've been so pleased with our progress.

I think she is slowing down a bit, too, but perhaps not as fast as I've been thinking. She's certainly lost a bit of weight this last month and she's more cuddly than she used to be. That just makes it easier to give her loves, though! :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
My rat Raz closes his eyes when I start scratching him and his tail wiggles back and forth and he'll just sit completely content. :) No one on here (that I've seen have ever posted about this) I was wondering if it was normal but I think he's just happy. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
my rat Kai wags his tail, just the end bit = ] only done it a few times when being stroked, or running around on a hype.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts