Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
umm i jut noticed today that one of my rats has a black tipped tail he doesnt seem to be in any pain but does anyone have ne suggestions

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Rats can have light/dark on their tails... Did you just not notice it before? If it looks like a normal tail with no injury, then it's just the way he is.

If there's any injury, a vet visit is needed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was away and wen i got back it was like black like it got burned or frostbitten or something i have no idea he uses it normally he doesnt seem to notice it but does ne1 have some suggestions as to what it may be?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Have you touched it? Does it wipe off? Tails do bruise, so that's possible, or if damaged badly enough nasty things can follow, but it could be dirt or something.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The only way there would be frostbite would be if the tail was exposed to extreme cold. Obviously, the only way it would be burned is if a human did so. Did you gently attempt to see if it was a spot that would wash off? Can we get a photo?

If it's a devolving injury, you need it looked at ASAP by a vet, possibly be amputated but either way, it's EXTREMELY painful and needs to be dealt with ASAP. You'd see bone, most likely, though, so it doesn't sound like that.

http://ratguide.com/health/wounds/degloving_injury.php

I suppose it may be ringtail, though I don't know, doesn't sound like that, either.

http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/ringtail.php

To recap:

Try to gently wash it off. If the rat is in pain when you do this, or has any open sores or bone showing, get them to a vet now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it possibly that the tail had been stepped on and then the black almost purple ish stuff is just dried blood?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Perhaps, but in that case, you *still* need to get it checked out. If the tail was stepped on - I assume you mean, by a human - then there is probably damage, especially if there is blood.

Again I ask, did you try to wash it off? If it's dirt or blood, it will be washable. Try it. Then report back.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That means he is in pain.....you need to have him checked out! You are his biggest and only advocate...Let us know how he makes out.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree, I think a vet visit would be wise at this point.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That's not something to brag about, as your leg started to heal as soon as it was broken, meaning it started healing in the wrong position. They probably needed to re-set it, causing you more pain than you'd had if you went earlier.

Back to rats, they can't SAY when they hurt. You can't assume that because he squeaks when you touch it, that it's not hurting otherwise. He's saying, "It HURTS, please don't touch it," not that it only hurts when you touch it. If a rat is showing pain, it's a LOT of pain. They hide pain until they can't take it anymore.

You got rats, and it's your responsibility to take care of them when they are sick or in pain. It's cruel to know an animal is suffering and to do nothing about it NOW. Not in a day, now. Considering this happened yesterday, you're already waited too long. At this point, you may end up with infection, an amputation, or something equally as bad. Which means, it will be MORE expensive than if you'd tended to it when it first happened.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts