Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! :)

Okay, so, this is a little silly . . . but I need reassurance.
I've taken my rat to the vet once in October-November for a URI, and then another time in late December for the same thing. However, today I'd like to treat her at the vet for congestive heart failure. My mother is making me feel bad about it. I try to tell her that even if Pam dies tomorrow it'd still be good to treat her and that's the responsible thing as a pet owner. However, she's still hesitant (an overall downer/mean about it) and it's making me feel horrible like I'm wrong to do this or something. :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, the last thing you should do is feel bad about wanting to give Pam the best live she deserves.

It is your choice as a pet owner to decide what you think is best for you and your animals. Opinions of your vet, spouse or anyone else involved emotionally and financially should be valued too. That said, treating animals is a double ended sword. You have a ton of people who will try to make you feel awful for not bringing the pet to the vet but then there are those who will make you feel like crap for even considering a trip to the vet. At the end of the day, it is important that you're able to sleep at night. If you think bringing Pam to the vet is the right thing to do, DO IT!

My Linuce had a URI a couple of months ago. I was trying to get him antibiodics without bringing him in but I eventually I had to take the trip. My boyfriend gave me so much trouble about it; "I can't believe you're taking a $5.00 pet to the vet." I ignored him and took Liney and my boyfriend soon realized that this whole 'rat' thing is not a joke.

If you think the vet can make the rest of Pams life more comfortable then it would be without treatment, I'd say its worth it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm sorry, but this is what happened in my head when I read the opening post:

Mom: I can't see why you want to take an animal that was only worth $5 to the vet. It isn't worth it.

Child: Mom, he's like my furrkid. Thanks for being willing to take me to the Dr. when I was sick. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I actually went through the same exact thing yesterday. My rat had an abscess that I spent a hefty sum of money to lance and drain. Then another one popped up and my dad was absolutely furious with the idea of me spending my money to take care of my rats. Funny though, similar to what Pixxiies said, his exact words, "Explain to me the logic behind spending hundreds of dollars on a $5 rat!?" The sad part is that I hold his opinions so highly, so to hear him say that to me and look at me as if I was stupid really hurt. Which I'm sure you felt the same. But I just reminded myself that these are my rats and I took on a responsibility to care for them no matter what anyone else says. I took him to the vet and did exactly that. She is your baby, and your decision is what matters most. Your mom will unfortunately probably never understand it, nor will my dad, but you will. And you will feel so much better when your little girl is taken care of, no matter what others say. I hope everything is going well with her.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had a similar conversation with my mom yesterday. "Arielle needs to go to the vet" "she's old, she'll die soon anyway. Why don't u just kill her, u have 5 others anyway" ... parents sometimes just don't get it. As said above, do what you think is right cause you have to live with your decision. It will be on your conscience too if you know what's right to do but don't do it cause of something someone said. Yes they're a $5 pet but many parents don't understand you can't just let what happens happen and replace your rat with another. They all have different places in our hearts and many times that alone makes it worth the money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts