Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read of other rat owners having their rats sit on their shoulders and go for walks around the house with them or even outside or in the car. How do you train rats to do that?

My girls do sit on my shoulder, but not for any length of time. And definitely not if there was a no room to explore...I think they'd run off and would never be seen again.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The key word there could be "my girls." Girls, especially baby girls, tend to want to be doing something all the time if they're not sleeping. It could just be that they're too wound up to do something as "boring" as sit on your shoulder. When they get a little older and more mature, they could become more interested in going for a walk with you.

Or, maybe they're just not used to your shoulder as it would take for them to be comfortable enough to sit still. Try training them to accept your shoulder as a fun place- start with just a few moments of them being up there, saying "shoulder" and praising them. Then increase the time, try feeding them treats, and keep praising them when they stay on your shoulder until eventually they'll be mature enough and well-enough trained to stay for long periods of time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with the last comment about your rats being girls... I've kept a few rats and although eventually they settled into it, the girls showed least interest in sitting on my shoulders. I have 2 baby boys now and both of them instinctively went onto my shoulder as soon as they got tamed :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sounds like a case of the wiggles! :lol: My girls are 11 and 9 weeks old and they hardly ever sit still. Unless they're sleeping they are the most spastic things in the world. Only recently has the older one been able to sit on my shoulder and that was only about 5 minutes!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've taken Jake on walks before and he quite enjoys sitting in a jacket pocket and hanging out there as long as it's not too hot. I think the big thing is that he's an older neutered male.

Acid is over two years and to this very day refuses to sit still for longer than it takes to eat a yoggie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts