Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my setup, but i'm wondering if it's entertaining enough for my ladies. I'm up for any suggestions toy-wise or layout-wise if this doesn't look good enough!!

ImageUploadedByPG Free1412642802.926679.jpg

·
Registered
581 Posts
That looks like a wonderful cage to me!
Just as a fun little thing to do; I was considering hanging a few cheerios by strings of varying lengths around my cage to entertain my little food glutton, Dela. If you have any that act the same way you might want to consider it just as a fun way to exercise them and allow them to have fun scampering around the cage looking for the treats and then finding ways to get to them. :3

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of string do you use? My girl's love love love to chew, and I don't want to buy the wrong string and have them end up choking D:

·
Registered
581 Posts
That's a good point. I was planning on using my sewing thread since it's so thin I'm sure they'd be able to pull the treat out easily and not be too interested in the string. If your females do take interest in those things though it might not be a good idea... Maybe just hiding treats around then, if the string is a worry?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I've done the Cheerios thing before, and I just use thin strands of fleece. It'll stretch enough to be thin enough to get through the hole. Mine never tried to eat the fleece, once the Cheerios were gone they didint care about string

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to try that then!! I was thinking of getting them one of those ball pits but again they're chewers and the plastic worries me. They chew on my plastic CN pans and already made 2 holes through them.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
If you look at my cage you'll see a little blue bucket in the back, it's a rat friendly "trash can". I fill it with wooden chews and scraps of paper and cardboard and edible packing peanuts. Maybe they would like digging through that? And then you don't have to worry about them chewing things they shouldn't

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yeah... My two girls don't seem to be chewers so far. The only plastic thing (Besides the pans) is the little basket I hung up in there today that I filled with fleece scraps so they could burrow and nest in it. A couple of the toys in the cage have some string-like stuff and they don't seem very interested in eating that so I'm not too worried aboutthe cheerios but I'll keep you posted if they do wind up doing anything strange.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i would remove the ramp, your girls look fit and well and able to climb, then replace it with some branches or ropes to create more challenging climbing. I would also add in a digging box or similar (junk box as above) to help them exhibit natural digging and foraging behaviours

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did make a digging box but they seem to want nothing to do with it. They'll throw the fleece out of the box and it'll just get gross from being peed on when I don't put in back in the box fast enough. And I will take the ramp out! Good idea :p

·
Registered
320 Posts
That's a good point. I was planning on using my sewing thread since it's so thin I'm sure they'd be able to pull the treat out easily and not be too interested in the string. If your females do take interest in those things though it might not be a good idea... Maybe just hiding treats around then, if the string is a worry?
Thread+pets=very bad combination

Long strands of thread (which is actually quite strong, and sharp, cuts like fishing line!) that get ingested can ruin an animal's gut.

Those strands can either slice thru portions of the intestines, or get wound up around loops of intestine and cause blockages and necrosis--can be fatal, even if noticed early and surgery is done.

I think the suggestion of using thin strands of fleece was a good idea.

·
Registered
69 Posts
^Agree on that. My best friend's cat got a hold of a piece of thread and it began cutting all of her organs basically in half. Surgery saved her, but they were very very lucky.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts