Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a little background information.

My husband and I got our first rat over a year ago, Julian. It was just him for a while until we heard a lot about rats needing other rats for companionship. We had decided to stick with males so we picked out a cute little lilac baby rat. We stuck them together and Julian was not happy about it at all. He was attacking him all the time, my husband assured me that it was bound to happen, one rat would need to show dominance over the other rat and they were just going to have to fight it out until one established itself. Well Julian killed the baby rat that night.

A week or so later we went and bought Igor. We decided to let them meet on neutral ground, the bed. The first time we stuck them together Julian wasn't having it and attacked Igor right away. I was really worried about Julian being a murderer again so I seperated them. We tried to slowly introduce them to each other over the next week or two, but each time Julian would just attack the poor guy. It got to the point that poor Igor was so afraid of Julian that he would run from him each time he saw him. I decided that they needed seperate cages so we bought another big cage. (The cage Julian had was big enough for at least 6 or 7 rats).

Then one day in the petshop I saw a cute little white rat with a brown nose and butt. Had to have him. Brought him home and after the week of quarantine we stuck him in with Igor. Instant best friends. They loved each other. We tried putting all three of them together, and Julian was attacking BOTH of them, and Igor and Blizzard were scared of Julian. I thought Julian was destined to be a lonely rat forever.

After a while we ended up with another rat, Harold. Harold stayed in the quarantine cage for the week then we decided to put him with Julian, just to see. It worked. Julian and Harold were friends.

Sadly, Julian passed away a few months later, and Harold was alone. We tried to put Harold with Blizzard and Igor, but now Igor was being a pain in the butt about it. We couldn't leave Igor and Harold together, too much fighting with blood. So we got TWO MORE baby rats (Sydney and Sylvester) and stuck them with Harold. Success. Harold and the babies got along, and in the other cage Blizzard and Igor were happy.

Then we got yet ANOTHER baby rat, Stanley. For some reason we completely forgot about the whole quarantine process and stuck him with the babies and Harold. It wasn't but 3 or 4 days later we found Harold extremely ill, lethargic, biting, not eating or drinking at all, very raspy breathing, etc. Maybe pnemonia? Harold passed away the next day.

Then Blizzard got it, I took Blizzard and quarantined him in another room.

Now Igor is all alone and I want to stick Stanley with him, but I also think Stanley is the one who made everyone ill. It's been at least a week now so I guess if Igor was going to get sick from Stanley he would have already? I just hope that they don't fight.

Has anyone noticed dumbos and standard ear rats not getting along? I have always had to keep my dumbos and standards in seperate cages because of fights.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Dumbos and standards get along fine. There is really no difference in how they perceive eachother. It's just like a white rat living with a black rat.

Does Stanley show any signs of illness? Seperating him now wouldn't do any good. There are a couple of things that are transmitted by direct contact though. Maybe with so many deaths so close together you should take them to the vet and check to see if they are healthy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are all going to the vet next week, took me some searching to find a vet that treats rats and has the right medications on hand but I finally did it.

Stanely has shown a few signs of illness. Sneezing a bit and has had red discharge a few times from his nose. Sometimes when I pick him up he makes those deep congestion noises.

Being that all rats are born with myco, should it just be considered that every new rat should go to the vet for a myco treatment before they even show signs of it? To prevent a flare up? Or am I just being overly cautious now?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts