Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Complete newb here (see my intro post) and just got two rats as pets. I would really like to tame them properly and to teach them tricks if possible.

I am going to assume that neither has been handled much. The male is a weanling who's just left his mom (I think) and the female is a young adult. I have handled the male a bit, he's very sweet and likes sleeping in the nape of my neck. I think he will be okay because he is young.

I would like to know how best to go about taming the bigger female though. So far I have just spoken to her gently and stroked her with my fingers and gently scratched her behind her ears which she really seemed to enjoy as she closed her eyes and looked very relaxed. Should I just continue with those sort of thing and slowly gain their trust?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If she seems accepting of your touch, could you try picking her up and carrying her about in the hood or pouch of a sweatshirt you don't really like much? That way she'll have a safe place to hide and yet be near you.

Are you keeping them in separate cages? Until the boy is neutered or the female spayed it would probably be safest, or if you aren't planning to fix either of them, do they have cagemates?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It sounds like you are making good progress already. From there, I would try to entice her onto your hand with treats. Once she is comfortable with that, try lifting her and holding her when she is on your hand.

Also, do make sure that they don't live or play together until one or both of them are neutered/spayed. If you are still learning about rats, you really don't want to end up with an accidental litter... that's a whole different (complicated and worrying) ball game to just owning a couple of rats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts