Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat used to be sweet as pie, but I went on vacation and wasn't able to take him out of his cage for quite a while :cry: And now if I even get near his cage he goes crazy. Do you think he is just trying to get my attention? If anyone has any tips on how to tame him it would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi!

How long was he left alone and how old is he? Also, does he have any other rats in his cage for company?

Rats are very social animals and really do need other rats to keep them happy and feeling secure unless there's a human there that can keep him company for over 18 hours a day. ;) Even then, a human can't groom a rat, play like other rats, talk to rats, etc...
If it's not due to hormones, you can socialize him again.
What exactly do you mean by "he goes crazy"?
Does he try to bite?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was at least a month. He's around a year old. He doesn't have any other rats....should I get him a buddy? Yeah he does try to bite.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A month is a long time for a lonely rat.
Before getting him a buddy, you are going to have to socialize him again.
I recommend letting him climb onto your shoulder and having him on you for an hour at a time, several times a day. You could put on a big sweatshirt, over a t-shirt and let him go in between. He will find a cozy spot and will start to bond to your scent. Lots of one on one is what he needs right now.
If you find that he lunges and bites, then he will need a neuter.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It depends where you are. My vet charges a lot, I pay $167 CAD. But I've heard of people paying as little as $75.
More importantly, you need to find a vet that is experienced with rats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts