Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a couple small rats soon and am looking at a super pet deluxe exotic cage in about 2 months. But for now would it really hurt the two of them if they were in the aquarium with a topper for like 2 months, as long as i clean it regularly.

Also I was wondering if I drill small holes all through the aquarium if that will improve ventilation in the cage.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
How large is the aquarium and are your rats very young?

I'd say it depends. I don't think two months in a large aquarium would do any real harm to a couple small rats, as long as they get a lot of time outside their cage and you give it a good and frequent scrubbing down to keep the ammonia at bay n.n A topper is a good way to get them out of the fumes from time to time, but it doesn't solve the problem of poor ventilation, so you'll need to be really sure to clean it head-to-toe daily.

I'm sure holes in the side would do a lot of good - just be sure you don't crack the glass by accident n.n

·
Registered
549 Posts
Why don't you wait until you have the money to get a real cage? Two months really isn't that long. Also, if you can't afford a decent cage how can you pay for a vet? Its entirely possible that two months in a tank following whatever happened where you get them from can/will lead to a URI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts