Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really worried about my boy tater. Tater has always been so hyper, running and the life of the party ( he has two brothers who are within his age range) tater also has a bad eye and it has been extra watery and goopy lately- even after taking azithromycin and medicated eye drops. The thing that worries me the most is he’s just laying down so much, and he has been eating more than ever before, also seems to be gaining weight. Is this just aging ? The only other difference is his cage rival he occasionally has dominance wars with, was injured for 6 weeks with a hurt ankle and is now feeling better and dominating tater more. Please any insight will be so helpful!
Textile Domesticated hedgehog Flooring Terrestrial animal Hedgehog

·
Registered
258 Posts
What a sweet boy😘He looks like a Senior?Rats do naturally slow down with age and can either lose weight or put it on.I wouldn’t worry about the weight gain as he gets very old he is likely to drop it.As long as he is enjoying eating he is fine.I would review the cage set up to minimise risk of falls,things like put an extra water bottle where he likes to sleep so it’s within easy reach.When I give them a nice dinner I sometimes feed oldies separately to give them a chance to fill their boots without the others shoving them off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a sweet boy😘He looks like a Senior?Rats do naturally slow down with age and can either lose weight or put it on.I wouldn’t worry about the weight gain as he gets very old he is likely to drop it.As long as he is enjoying eating he is fine.I would review the cage set up to minimise risk of falls,things like put an extra water bottle where he likes to sleep so it’s within easy reach.When I give them a nice dinner I sometimes feed oldies separately to give them a chance to fill their boots without the others shoving them off.
Thanks for responding :) tater and his brothers are my first rats, so I wasn’t sure when senior age kicked in. He did start going gray a few months ago. So even at 14 months he’s considered a senior ? Aw I wish I could slow down the rat life lol

·
Registered
258 Posts
He isnt old yet.Don’t know about males but females slow down from a year old.Rats are considered senior at 18 months but I don’t think they really show signs of aging til they are 2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts