Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen so many youtube videos of rats doing amazing and awesome tricks and yet I cant even get mine to use the litter box. lol. How do people even do that? Maybe after my rat learns the litter box I might TRY to teach him some easy tricks but what are good treats to use? He loves sunflower seeds but he wont eat them or eat anything outside his cage, why is that? Does he still not trust me? I've had him for about a month now shouldnt he be used to me by now? Anyways do any of you know a good website or place that teaches you how to train your rat tricks, any tips will help a lot too. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I wouldnt really compare using the litterbox to tricks, they are very different things.

I would say most rats will never be fully litterbox trained. You can manage it alot- having multiple litterboxes in their favorite corners, using a pee rock. But many rats will still go where they want.

Tricks on the other hand are not impossible. having patience and finding a good treat helps. I'd look into clicker training, even for dogs it is the same basic idea.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Maybe I'll get him a ball and teach him fetch lol and some other simple things. Like come here and spin. I don't have the patience to try to teach them extreme tricks like some do I just got to find the perfect treat.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have you tried something like baby food or yogurt? Or maybe some tiny pieces of freeze dried chicken (I buy the larger bags meant for dogs, but as it is only a single ingredient, it works as a treat for my dogs, my cats, and the ratties as well!)

Clicker training can be easy and intuitive if you can make yourself think like a rat and remember to build behaviors in baby steps. You don't have to limit yourself to the "usual" tricks that you see on You Tube or read about in rat books, either. Part of the fun in training is personalizing the tricks to the behaviors that the rat (or pet) you are working with offers naturally. Get creative and have fun with it! Maybe you can come up with your own unique tricks. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts