Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Ever since I got Cinderella I have been dieing to teach her tricks such as up, spin, come, jump, ect. However, she will not take treats from me even if it is her favorite. So teaching her tricks won't exactly work.
But now I have Rorie who actually takes treats from me!! I'm planning on teaching her spin today. Hopefully when Cindy see her doing them she'll catch on as well.

I was wondering if any of yall have taught your rat tricks? What tricks? How did you teach it? and Any tips?

·
Registered
365 Posts
All six of my rats are clicker trained to circle, come, and "ups" which means climb on my hand. I'm working on "shoulder!" for when they are riding and decide my elbow is a better perch. : P

The trick is to start with just treating. When you treat, make a clicking sound that is distinct from speech and easy for you to make. I clucked my tongue, my husband makes a high pitched double click. Click, and treat. Click, and treat. Click, and treat. Eventually, they will associate the click with the treat.

When you click and they look for a treat, you know you can start training.

For spin, I repeat the command and move the treat in a circle close to their nose so they have to spin to get it. When the complete the spin, click and treat.

Repeat till the rat gets bored!

Eventually, I pull my hand up and use my finger to make a circle gesture while saying the command. Click and treat at every success. Before long you can remove the hand gesture and just use the verbal command.

Mine started spinning at me every time they wanted something, hee hee!

Good luck and have fun!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts