Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed on my girls that their bottom teeth sometimes look as if they have split into 2. instead of looking as if they were stuck together.

Hope this makes sense

What is the score with rats bottom teeth, can anyone help?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I don't know for sure - but I know some of my rats teeth are exactly the same as that. Forming a V (not a huge V) where you expect them to remain together

I've never had a problem with it - as long as the V is not too severe, the teeth should still be warn down naturally.

I tend to keep an eye on them though - just in case they get too long. Then it's to the vets for a trim (luckily this doesn't happen very often at all)

Hope this helps - other people here know loads more about teeth than me, so they can give you definate answers :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
"The joint between the two halves of the lower jaw (mandibular symphysis, or symphysis mentis) is not fused, but is formed of fibrous tissue -- fibrocartilage and intercrossing ligaments. This fibrous tissue allows each side of the lower jaw to rotate slightly along its long axis, thus separating the lower incisors (Fig 9, 10). The widest angle obtainable is about 40º. The ability to separate the lower incisors is important in mastication: as a rat gnaws and bites, it adjusts the separation of its lower incisors (Weijs 1975, Jolyet and Chaker 1875 as reported in Addison and Appleton 1915)."

Quoted from: http://www.ratbehavior.org/Teeth.htm

It's near the bottom and there's some nice pictures too :).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou for your help.
I was told by my vet (who it transpires knows nothing about rats) told me she had broken her tooth!
This was Ellie RIP my first rat and not aware of this site then.
It is incredible what you can find out from this Forum, its brill.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
One of my vets are the same - every time I go in, she procedes to tell me that my rats teeth are overgrown and must be trimmed. And every time I have to explain to her that rats teeth DON'T overgrow - and if there is a problem - it's self evident. Just because they have long bottom teeth (or gappy teeth) does not mean that they're 'wrong'. o_O

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
"rats need to have their teeth trimmed"

That is one myth that may take generations of rat enthusiasts to squash. So long as they do not suffer from malocclusion you should never have to trim teeth.

Can anyone think of any reason besides this where trimming would be necessary?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts