Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :)

I have a question that I cant seem to find any information on anywhere.

I live in Texas (where it is hot as all get out ALL the time LOL) but i keep my house VERY cold. Not cool even. My family freezes and wears sweatshirts inside when it is 100 degrees outside. I usually keep it around 65 degrees. Im not a sadist lol - I do this for a reason. I have a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and am on a heart transplant list. The massive amt of medication that i am on causes my internal temperature regulation to be crazy and I am unbearalbly hot ALL the time. BLEH!

However, I dont want the ratties to be in danger from my issue. Do the ratties need to be kept in a room at a different, warmer temperature? Does temperature affect them healthwise?

I can hear my family now....theyve been begging for a warmer house for months and I refuse...if I do it for the ratties, then the humans will never let me live it down :lol:

Seriously though, I dont want thenm to get sick.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
A lot of animals acclimate to temperature well, as long as its a steady thing. Its when it fluctuates a lot that it can be bad for them. 65 degrees, while cool, is fine. I would watch when you have sick rats or hairless to make sure they have added warmth. Maybe have double pocket hammies in their cages so they can go cuddle under if they feel cool?
You can do rice socks heated in the microwave or buy a snugglesafe like I have.

http://www.snugglesafe.ca/index.htm

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I have the opposite problem right now... I fight to keep it under 80 (which is where my boys do the pancake OMG-it's-hot thing.)

It's finally cooling down, though, so I'll be moving in the winter hammocks soon enough (mmm, cuddly fluff!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts