Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello rat people of this forum! I am a sojourner simply looking for help. Because I cannot post in the appropriate place, I am saying hello. I am not a rat person. I am, in fact, a cat person. A cat person who's cat has suddenly turned into a no-kill cat and has brought to me a sickeningly adorable infantile being of rodent decent. Certainly not a rodent of unusual size. Maybe to me, but not to some of you, I hope. Anyway, this is my hello. Hopefully it will allow me to access the adoption portion of this forum. Thank you for putting up with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I cannot access the adoption portion of the forum so I will just post it here. My name is Josh, or that is what I am known by. This is unimportant. What IS important is that I am in possession of an infant rat of unknown age who's eyes are still shut and is obviously nursing. Being as I have a cat and not a rat, I am ill equipped for this manner of beast. As much as I would love to keep the creature and help it to thrive, I am afraid between the dog and the cat, the barely furred little imposer barely stands a chance despite my desperately bleeding heart. I live in Decatur AL, and I cannot get it to feed from my syringe, not to mention I don't have a reliable supply of rat's milk available. I am hoping one of you fine people perhaps have a nursing rat to whom I can pass the little one off to. If anyone finds interest in assisting or adopting Took, please email me at [email protected] at your soonest availability. If it were a month old kitten, I could have managed this, but I've never raised a rat before and I do not want the little guy to die. He's perfectly healthy other than the fact that he's terrified. Understandable. So am I.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Oh okay, well then if it's really young you might need to get it on some kitten formula (I think that's what it is) and hand feed it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh okay, well then if it's really young you might need to get it on some kitten formula (I think that's what it is) and hand feed it
this I think I can do. I currently have it housed in a shoebox and nested in a wash rag, bundled so it can feel safe, though by the squeals, I'm not sure its helping. I believe its hungry, but as I've said, I've never raised a rat, much less a baby rat. Will I need any special items? Special housing? What can I do to keep little Took alive until I can find him a forever home?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Get kitten formula and feed it to him using a paintbrush. You may also have to stimulate his bowels for him. Keep him warm, and I think you have to feed him every couple hours and it's very important to not miss a feeding. I've never raised baby rats though so hopefully someone who has chimes in soon. Someone else a few days ago had a baby rat and didn't have any food for him and he died unfortunately. So get the baby food ASAP!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I agree with the previous post. Too bad I'm not near or I'd take him for ya. Wild rats are the best! I used soy infant formula and the paintbrush method. Kitten formula works too though. I think you can post in the adoption area in an hour? I think that's how long it takes to reset. Good luck! You are very kind to do this for the litte creature. I was also not really a rat person until I found my baby wild rat. Haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMAG0017.jpg Here is little baby Took. I call him Took because that's what the cat did. She just took him. And now he's stuck with me. I'm keeping my room fairly warm in the mean time and he's constantly bundled when he's not refusing to eat. ~.~ Luckily I've had stubborn kittens before and I seem to be able to get a drop down in him now and again. I don't know how much he needs, though

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
First off Took will need to be fed every hour and you need to help him urinate and defecate, a warm damp Q-Tip works as does a warm wet washcloth. You HAVE to get him to use the bathroom after each feeding. A very small paintbrush works better than the syringe and you feed him till he's full and refuses the milk. You MUST clean the paintbrush after each feeding, the bacteria that can grow in used paintbrush and formula has a very high chance of killing him and or making him sick.

You need to put the heating pad half under his washcloth nest on LOW, babies can't regulate their temp just yet so it's important to keep him warm but not cooked. The best thing to do is to start looking for nursing domestics. Call pet shops, get a hold of rescues and advertise on social media such as rat orientated facebook groups. I'll give you the names of several groups. You have to tell people that he's a wildy, they have their own separate set of rules than domesticated rats and they're considered special needs because of it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/petratlovers/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RatsandMiceareAwesome/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ratfanclub/

Those are just a few to start you off. If you still need help or info just post and ask.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Good luck and just try to do with the others have said regarding feeding and potty making. I believe infant soy formula is recommend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all very much for your help. My goal is to get him to someone with proper experience. Hopefully I can get him through the night and find someone first thing in the morning. Barring that, I'll do my best until I get him where he needs to be. Thank you again.

·
Registered
737 Posts
my friend will take it if you could get it close to jackson mississippi

1 - 16 of 16 Posts