Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Just planning ahead to Christmas when I will be going to stay with my parents for a few days with the rats. They have an old hamster cage there and I was wondering if it would be suitable for my three boys to holiday in for probably 4/5 days. It's 100cm long and 50cm deep but only 40cm high. (Approx 40"x 20"x 15" for American readers
:))
Clearly it's no good for permanent housing but would this be ok for a few days? I should mention they will get out for free range for at least an hour or two a day.

I was planning on staying five days, but if the cage is too small for that then I can cut the visit short.

Also, my folks have cats. They won't be allowed into the room where the rats will be staying, but I'm a bit worried about the rats getting upset at cat smell and generally being stressed about a new environment. Is there anything I can do to help with this?

Cheers!

Lara

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Thats fine for a short term holiday home, gives them enough room to move about and get away from each other if they need too and have a couple of different beds and such in. They can survive without lots of climbing in the short term and im sure they will get out pleanty as it is.

I would bring along a hammock or some bedding (or both) form there current cage. Make sure they have an enclosed bed or two and most improtantly when your there treat them normally as though theres no reason to be scared. They will adapt fairly quickly to new smells and places. I tend to make a point of taking mine to new places regularly as kittens, it makes it easier on them later on (the whole family goes to the vets lol)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Isumurat thats good to know.

I will be sure to pack some hammocks and digging material and other familiar items and my mum is saving up some boxes to make different hide outs for them.

The room they will be in is my old bedroom - a converted attic which is away from the hustle of the rest of the house, and the cats aren't allowed up there currently so safe for free range. I'm hoping they won't find it too difficult. I'm sure they will be spoiled on their little holiday - my mum refers to herself as their grandmother :)

It will be good practice for them as my mum has offered to take them if I go away on any short breaks in the future.

I should be worrying about how I will cope sleeping in the room with them and my allergies! It could be a very sneezy wheezy christmas this year!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The cat smell should not bother them much. We have two cats who aren't allowed in the room but do frequent outside the door and in the hallways fairly close. This has never concerned the boys. When the cats manage to sneak in on occasion, the rats do act a little fearful (frozen in place, hiding, frantic sniffing) but the behaviour generally goes away within an hour (longer for some of the more weary boys). I would not be too concerned. Bringing familiar hammocks sounds like a good idea. I think you guys will have a blast. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts