Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've mentioned before that I have a boy named Tempy who is super skittish. It took me months just to get him to let me pick him up without him fear pooping on me and struggling in terror. And even now he's still not a huge fan of being handled. He's gradually gotten more comfortable with me over the last 9 months, but most of the time he'll still bolt if I even gesture in his direction. So the other night I was sitting on the couch and Buddy (my super loving one) was sitting in the crook of my arm while I gave him a little massage. (he does this all the time) Anyway Tempy jumped up on the couch to investigate. (rare) He started sniffing around Buddy while I continued to pet him. Then he did something totally unexpected. He nudged Buddy out of the way and took his place. He laid there in the crook of my arm and let me pet him for a good 5 minutes. He's NEVER done that before! Most of the time when I try to pet him he'll either run away or at best he'll hold still but he'll stare at me in the eyes the whole time ready to bolt at the slightest twitch. But this time he just laid there, eyes half closed, and just enjoyed it. It was amazing. After 9 months of working with him I thought I'd gotten him as good as he'd ever get, but it appears he's still warming up to me a teeny tiny bit more each day.

So those of you with similarly skittish rats sick to it. These sorts of encounters will be rare but every time they happen they make it all seem worth it. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
That gives me something to look forward to! Alfie's not quite that bad, but he's still skittish. Great to hear your Tempy is coming around slowly!

·
Registered
265 Posts
My boys sound very similar to yours! one is super loving and wants to be cuddled on and get attention all the time and the other is quite skittish and just very independent. He's the sweetest boy ever and wouldn't hurt a fly but just doesn't enjoy being pet and was quite untrusting for the longest time. He just turned a year old and I've had him for 8 months have worked with him a lot just to get him to the point of not making a huge fuss to get him in and out of the cage, etc. and I was happy as long as i could do that without a huge deal but i realized he wasn't ever gonna come play with me like my other one does and that's fine. But after a few months he started coming up on my bed to see what I was doing during playtime but if I would so much as move a muscle or even talk to him he was gone. Then eventually he wouldn't be skittish at me doing that and was coming more often and actually he lets me occasionally pet him a tad bit while he's there. More and more as time goes on I'm seeing his sweetheart personality come out and him wanting attention from me as he truly trusts me now. I even had a moment the other day where I was just talking to him and he saw me and wanted to come up on the bed and chat with me too. I never thought I'd have those cute moments with him but they happen more and more now. So i'm sure your boy will be warming up to you more and more as time goes on as well. enjoy it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts