Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the other day I was holding one of my rats, Masala, who is quite skittish, and doesn't like to be held, and I noticed he had a small bump under his armpit. At first I was like "oh no, hes got a tumor, but at least its really small" And then today after work I was holding him, trying to feel for it, as he was squirming around trying to escape and I found a HUGE mass the size of his head under his back arm, actually behind the other one I found previously. Its seriously massive... I feel horrible for not noticing, but I never like to push him to his point of anxiety.. I always thought he was just a fat rat, and he always wobbles around when he walks, so he doesn't like to go much anywhere, but I always thought something was off, But I never imagined it was a huge tumor! I got him maybe 6 months or so ago, his brother had died of a respiratory issue, and I took him in knowing he was going to retire with me, but still, I just recently with last month ago lost my other rat moose, so If Masala passes soon its going to be too early. Hes about 2 1/2 right now, so he's gotten to live a long life so far. I was wondering if anyone else had anything to say about tumors, Thoughts on them? My boy doesn't seem to be very troubled by it, except when he leaves the cage and runs around a long time, or when he is being held. I HOPE he's not in any pain, but I guess I don't really know, do I? I really would hate the idea of putting him to sleep, especially since My other boy Scout just lost his other brother, and now he only has Masala. I'm really troubled as what to do, I dont think I know of any vets here who even specialize in surgery in small animals. I know the vet I was recommended here in my town is a exotic pet vet but they dont do surgeries for neutering.???

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not quiet what to say here, I have only had rats for 2 years, I have noticed that they do not show pain( as we humans do) Maybe" Rat Daddy" may know,,he does have a alot of info. rats have a short life span,,2/15, to 3 years,,they get short changed, compared to other rodents,,,from what I have seen, and learned with rats,,,a health or medical issue can come very suddenly,,and we as their caretakers may not see it happening,,,please , try not to feel, that you may have missed something, I know I did when I recently my :Mouse: I did not see the signs. For a arattie to live 2/15 years is pretty remarkable, you gave him a home,,,lots of nuggies and chin and belly rubs,,you gave him love and he returned the love, just cherish time with Masala,,,you have done good for him, wish you well

·
Registered
680 Posts
Are your sure it's a tumor? I've found a few of these on my boys and they've turned out to be cysts or abscesses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts