Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 6 pm my ratters were enjoying a playful scamper. When it was home time, I brought the girls back to their cage and as usual, we had a rousing game of "don't let her catch you while climbing ontop of the cage".
Unfortunately this game did not end well.
An old hide box was sitting ontop of the cage. Toby immediately recognized her old home and crawled inside. Mocha, being in a playful mood, decided to knock the box over. Both of my rats feel the 5 and 1/2 feet to the ground. I almost stopped breathing.
I carefully picked them up and cradled them on my lap, checking them over. Both rats appeared to have escaped the fall unscathed. After placing them back in the cage with a yogurt drop apiece to calm them down, I ran over to my phonebook to check small animal vet listings in my area. (I'd been meaning to do it for a while, but kept putting it off. Bad idea)

I had to wait until my parents came home to see if they'd drive me over to the vet, pressing on them my concern. Both off them shrugged it off. My father dislikes the rats and my mother doesn't understand why I want them checked out, "It'd be cheaper to get a new rat" :roll:

I've been watching them all night, and the vet closed at 7, leaving me stranded with my two girls. Toby seems fine, she landed in the box which was still stuffed with paper towel scraps. Mo was not so lucky. Over the past two hours she's established a major limp, which has spread to her dragging her back legs behind her. Mo has also been very quiet and skittish, which isn't like her at all.

I've removed the shelves in their cage for the night, so Mo won't be climbing up and down on her injuries. I just feel so bad. I can't do anything but watch her suffer. I'm trying to convince my parents to let me take her to the vet in the morning. Is there anything I can do for my poor baby?
Please help me if you can. :cry:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
well lets hope the injured one only has a sprain and it is the swelling that is causing her the problems. if there is swelling you want to use a cold compress to reduce it. but remember 3 minutes on 5 minutes off. if there is no swelling then a warm compress will help ease the pain of stiff joints. just monitor that she doesn't get too hot and leave her room to move away from the heat if she wants to.

now, not to scare you but from your description it sounds like she may have hurt her back rather then her legs as she's dragging her legs and not just keeping them lifted. this can be a serious issue if swelling is not brought down as it sounds like the swelling is pinching a nerve. if the nerve is pinched for too long then permanent damage can occur ranging from a mild stiffness to complete hind end pyaralsis. but even in the worst case scenario all is not lost. your rat may learn to cope quite well without the use of her back legs and with a bit of special attention could still live a full and happy life. but she will decide that and its far too early in the game to worry too much about it.

for tonight try to lower the swelling if there is any or reduce the pain with a hot compress. in the morning talk to your parents about the responsibility of owning a pet, no matter the original cost of the pet. prehaps they have merely forgotten that pets are an excellent way to teach a child respect for a living animals and responsbility in your choices and actions. if it is a money issue try to work out a way that you could pay them back for the cost of the vet, perhaps extra chores or a suspension of an allowance or both. hopefully if you show how serious you are about your animals and how responsible you are trying to be with them your parents will take you to the vet. which should absolutely be done for the injured rat (the other one is probably fine--i once had a rat that would routinely jump off the top of my 4' book case and i have a rat now that will dive off the 6' cage if given and chance and no injuries to date) at the very least the vet will be abe to give you pain meds and tell you if there is anything more serious then a sprain.

please keep us updated and i wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the advice Twitch. I should have thought about ice & heat, I guess I was freaking out. As for the vet cost, I am not worried too much, though I know my parents probably won't help out. The rats belong to my two brothers and I. Between the three of us I'm sure we can foot the bill. Going to do heat and ice now, keep your fingers crossed that she perks up.

Thanks agian.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
It does sound like a bad swelling issue. She needs an anti-inflammatory most likely. Metacam or even infant ibuprofen can help. Since she developed a limp then was dragging her hind legs, it does sound like a swelling issue.

How long was the progression of the symptoms? Can you do a timeline? It would be good for your vet as well for diagnosis.

example
8 pm - fall of 5.5 feet
8:30 pm - rat started to limp with right hind leg
9 pm - rat now is limping severely but still able to put some weight on limb
10 pm - rat is starting to drag limbs, etc.

see what I mean?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
how did the vet visit go? is Mo going to be ok?

·
Registered
31 Posts
our baby blue died when he fell. this happened yesterday. you are so very lucky and i hope both rattlets fully recover!! x <:3)~~

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Lokirat said:
our baby blue died when he fell. this happened yesterday. you are so very lucky and i hope both rattlets fully recover!! x <:3)~~
This thread is almost 3 years old, not sure if you realised :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
ooh, i guess not then :( i wish rats lived forever x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts