Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rousseau passed her 2 week quarantine with almost no sneezes or other things i thought i should be looking for. i put her with the big girls and they've been together for about a week now. just now i came home from class and rousseau is making a terrible noise. the other rats seem fine, but at this point there's nothing i can do for them i suppose.

it's a very deep, scratchy grunting noise. she makes little grunts that sound like a very congested rat, but she heaves every once in a while so hard you can see her diaphragm twitch. she opens her mouth and coughs. is this choking, or a sudden and severe URI?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wow, that almost sounds like regurgitation. Rats can't vomit, but apparently they can regurgitate....

And the only reason I know this is because I saw one of my males do it the other day. And it was really, really similar to what you described...

But it only lasted for a minute, and once the food he was choking on came up, it stopped, so, I'm just not sure.

But my guess would be choking/attempting to regurgitate.

How long has it been going on?

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm pretty sure she was choking because she seems all better now, and for a while there i thought she was going to leave us. o_O it sounded sooo bad, but she is back to her self now. :p

EDIT: didn't realize zepgirl had posted a comment, so to answer her real quick, i was panicking because it went on for about an hour total. whew.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts