Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some pics of a pet store near me, that has suprisingly not been shut down. They have been here for around 5 years and have been getting steadily worse over time...here are some pics that I will be sending to the proper authorities...

Filthy Cages

Around 30 rats...10 gallon aquarium...

Bad pic due to the flash...but you can see a pile of old litter in this hamster cage...they don't even take the old out...just put new on top of it! You can kind of see a hamster in the bottom right corner...

Pic of the dirty shelf, and the mesh tops on the aquariums

Another of the rats

Blurry pic, but as you can see, dirty fish tanks, half filled with water...and yes there are fish in those!!

The bird cages are all lumped together and filthy! None of the birds have tail feathers...here is a cockatiel that you can kind of see his tail...

The absolutely filthy floors

A rat cage filled with around 15 rats RIGHT BESIDE a very old kerosene heater that throws off massive amounts of fumes and flames that shoot out randomly around 1 foot...

Why do people do this stuff?

·
Registered
393 Posts
What a nightmare. Good luck getting it shut down.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That's horrid.
I was going to say people do it for money, but how the heck are they still in business, with the way they treat those animals!? If I had a snake, I sure wouldn't feel comfortable feeding those rats to it! (Well, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that anyway, but you get what I mean).
Good luck getting the authorities on this one! That's terrible.

And how did they let you take pictures? Or were you all sneaky undercover about it? Either way, good job!

·
Registered
259 Posts
woah man, your doing a good thing for the little ratties. =] and of course all of the other animals as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CaptainFlow said:
That's horrid.
I was going to say people do it for money, but how the heck are they still in business, with the way they treat those animals!? If I had a snake, I sure wouldn't feel comfortable feeding those rats to it! (Well, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that anyway, but you get what I mean).
Good luck getting the authorities on this one! That's terrible.

And how did they let you take pictures? Or were you all sneaky undercover about it? Either way, good job!
I was all sneaky undercover. I had my cousin go with me and occupy the owner asking about animals that where nowhere near where I was taking pics...the last few where really blurry because the guy was no longer being distracted and I had to sneak them...

And yes, the place is still in business somehow...for anyone that wants to know, the name of the place is Duncan's Pet Store...but I think they changed their name to Sky to Sea Pet Store. Those rats weren't even feeders!!! They keep those in the back. These where the PET RATS!! the hamsters and gerbils where pretty bad off as well...and the birds where probably the second worse compared to the rats...terrible place...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Report this place ASAP. There is no reason for the filth and cramped spaces. That is very sickening and disturbing.

I wish you (and those animals) the best of luck. This store needs to be closed down right away.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The way the pets are kept (in filthy small spaces) is very similar at the two local petstores where I bought (rescued from, I think of it) my four girls. I felt guilty leaving any rats behind...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Oh geez. Good luck. Keep reporting them. It takes time, but places DO get shut down. We had a Petland nearby that was shut down for such business (and leaving dead animals in cages... They did that all too often). Have as many people report them as you can, also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Its sick to see that

I have seen a pet shop that had a bird cage with about 15 rats in there, male and female with about 40 babies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts