Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, and thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give me! First off, it's been a while since I've had rats, but I know all of the trust training/socialization information already. The issues that I am having are even getting to that part, unfortunately! My ratty is a female grey and white dumbo, age unknown, named Sneeze.

A bit of information to start us off, before we move ahead with the problem. As I said, it's been a while since I've had rats. It was actually my intention not to have more, as I have since gotten rid of all of my rat things. Anywho, my husband has a friend with a snake who will only eat live (yes, I know). She went out (to Petco) and got her snake a rat only to find that the snake was shedding and refusing to eat. She had no way of keeping it and was unable to return it, so she messaged my husband and asked if I would be willing to take it. After a bit of thought and some scrounging, I managed to find a suitable bird cage and rig up a multi-level rat safe cage. The plan was for her to bring me the rat the next morning. Unfortunately, the rat that she had died during the night. Without my knowledge, she went back to the pet store (because I seemed excited about having a rat) to see if they could do something about it. Well, the pet store had no more rats, aside from one female that they were not allowed to sell. She is a grey and white dumbo and they gave her to said friend because she had gotten out and had been wandering the store for week before they finally caught her, which is why they were not allowed to sell her.

Now, with that out of the way. She was brought to me on Saturday morning and I was told to just take a bit of care, because she was known to be wild. I figured it was fine, I've been through most of what a ratty can throw at me, but now I see that I am wrong. Once I got her in to my set up, she practically threw herself all around the cage until finally making it to the top and in to the little log hidey that I put in. This is where my issue is. I have had her since Saturday and she will absolutely not come out of the hidey. I do believe she is coming out once we go to bed at night, food is astray and the water bottle is slowly emptying, but still I worry. She is going all day without drinking and sometimes eating. I can pile food at the front of the hidey and eventually she may nibble it, but nothing more. I first assume that a little patience was needed, but it's been long enough that I'm starting to worry more.

I have since covered the top of the cage with a towel, hoping that the shade might help her feel more secure, but nothing has changed. I do not poke and prod around the cage more than I need to. I open it only to leave snacks and food at the entrance of the hidey. I look in on occasion just to make sure that she is okay and I talk to her quietly if I am near the cage. I've done my best to give her space, no extra loud noises or anything. I keep dogs and cats out of the room, though she is sharing a room with a rabbit. At this point, I am at a loss. Any assistance that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Wow, what a story. I've no experience with wild rats. I've read the immersion thread, and it sounds like that may be of help.

As I understand it, you may make great strides in locking yourself in the bathroom with the rat (check the lip under cabinets for gaps!) and force the rat to eventually acknowledge you. I don't know if I'd ever feel comfortable with that, but I've never had to deal with rats that antisocial. I suppose that if I were in your situation, I'd lock myself in the bathroom with the cage and leave it open. I'd spend a couple hours in there reading a book. It's not quite in-your-face, and that may actually be a bad idea because the bond doesn't form, then the session is wasted. Maybe if she doesn't come out after an hour, pull her out of the cage and remove the cage from the picture so she has to deal with you anyway.

It sounds like Sneeze is your only rat. Have you considered a companion for her? Since rats learn off each other, it might be beneficial to have another rat with you who shows loving and receives treats. This might get Sneeze out of her shell. That might require a larger cage, though.

Take my message with a grain of salt. Everything you just said is stuff I've never been through—aside from the fact that a rat is involved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts