Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Rat forum, I used to be quite active last year when I first got my boys, but I've not posted in absolute ages. Hope everyone and their rat babies are well. :)

My three boys have been doing great up until last week when I spotted a small dark mass in Muffins boy parts. The lump is small, about the size of a pea and looks dark through the skin. It's also quite hard and loose under the skin. His behaviour hasn't changed and he's still active and eating as normal.
I took him to the vet who has recommended a neuter, along with the usual warnings about anesthetic risks. I've decided to go for the op and he's booked in for Wednesday.

I've been doing research on after care etc but I thought I would ask here for advice too in case someone has any info I might have missed. I'm quite nervous!

Any tips on making sure his recovery goes as smoothly as possible will be most appreciated. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Neuters are usually straightforward. Our Trevor was absolutely fine afterwards. The most common post op complication is a sterile abscess which is a reaction to the stitches. Good luck.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to hear. The vets warnings about aesthetic spooked me. Hopefully everything will go smoothly for my boy. Today's the big day. I've got a space in the cage sectioned off to create a hospital area for him to rest in when he gets back and I'll be putting him back with the other two once he's fully recovered from the anesthetic. My cage is quite tall and had lots of climbing, will he be OK moving about or should I put in some extra hammocks to help him get about? Amy special food I should be feeding? I was thinking some cooked rice and veg might be easier on him than hard food initially.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts