Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to get rats for a couple of years and joined this group to "study up" on them until the timing was right for me to get my own. Finally that time has come! :) I adopted a lonely little male from the humane society. He was relinquished for "roughhousing with an elderly male rat". I don't have any other information than that, except that he'll be a year old in November.

Despite the reasons for his relinquish, he is a very sweet fellow. I've named him "Pepper". He's all black with white socks, is somewhat timid, but is getting braver all the time. He loves it when I open his cage door and he can come out to explore my desk while I work. (I'm a fiction writer who works at home). In the evening, he plays (or sleeps) on my lap under a towel and pops out to look at me when he wants his ears scritched. I absolutely adore him!

And before anyone says it, yes, I do know that Pepper will be much happier with a companion. It is my goal to have him neutered and adopt a female friend. (Or adopt two baby males - but babies are never available at shelters. At least, not that I've seen). I initially went to the humane society to adopt 2 brothers, but I totally didn't connect with them and they were not at all interested in humans.

He got a good bill of health at the veterinarians last week and I'm so happy to have him.

In any case, thank you all for the interesting conversations that I've read over the years and the wealth of information that you've passed on.

Of course, eventually, I'd love to adopt some of Camarattery's lovely rats, but I figured I'd better get some experience before I try.

Thanks again everyone! Dawn and Pepper.

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
Congratulations on your little Pepper! I'm glad this forum helped you.

I'm hoping when I get rats of my own and that I'll be prepared at that time (or mostly) because I read all the info on here about keeping rats.

Anyways! I hope you can find good buddies for Pepper, and have fun. :D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
welcome to here and congrats on getting pepper. I also went to the humane society for diffrent rats than the ones i came back with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This forum really helped, Kelsbels, though I'm learning new things every day with Pepper. Will you be getting rats soon? They are soooooooo wonderful! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, JAnimal! That does seem to happen at the humane society, doesn't it. But its great that you rescued!

·
Registered
918 Posts
At the moment we're just looking for good breeders in the area. I hope we will be able to get some in the next year :). So in the meantime I'm reading up all the info I can!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At the moment we're just looking for good breeders in the area. I hope we will be able to get some in the next year :). So in the meantime I'm reading up all the info I can!
Good idea, Kelspels! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's great that you were will to adopt him. It's also great that your going to get him a friend. :)
I like to adopt from shelters when I can. :) I initially planned on getting two brothers, because I knew they would be happier. But I just didn't hit it off with them - while Pepper and I liked each other immediately. But I do plan to get him a companion. I don't want him to be lonely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts