Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just really wanted to thank everyone who's been helping me out in my 3 threads. You've really given me some good advice and confidence about getting rats. I went out and got my rats this morning. And they are so happy and so great!

The odd thing is that the one that was really active in her cage and came running to me when I opened the cage is just sitting in her cage terrified!! And the other one that was just like whatever, is always wanting to come out and play and is exploring every inch of the cage and my closet! I think the first one saw my cat and just freaked out...I don't know what to do. I put them both in my closet (I don't want to give them too much space just yet in case they get freaked, but my closet is pretty big) And they just ran around and I put some tunnels (ferret plastic tunnel things) and hid some treats and I sat in there with them and they had a blast. But as soon as I put them back in the cage the first one again just got real freaked out. She just sits there and doesn't move with theses huge eyes. I feel horrible, I dont know what to do. And their cage is like 3 times as big as the one in the pet store that they shared with 2 other rats, so I know she doesn't feel confined.

Do I just need to give her time or what? I know the stress of a new home is normal but I dont want her to get sick over it.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i'd give her some time, being alone in a huge new cage can freak a ratty out. i'm sure that playtime with you is very important to your shy cage rat, and she is really a people-person at heart. give her some time to get used to her cage, and i'm sure she'll get better both in and out of the cage.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
it sounds like she's just a bit freaked over the new smells and environment. she's probably a little confused as what to do with all that extra space. and with the other one being more affectionate then before is probably because she was lower on the pecking order and now she's near the top! she's probably just really excited, too excited to be nervous.

now that you have them though we demand cute pictures. you know, as payment for getting to rant about rats with you...er...i mean...giving you information...*shifty eyes* (people get paid for that right....) *grins* pics please!?

·
Registered
25 Posts
penelope said:
I just really wanted to thank everyone who's been helping me out in my 3 threads. You've really given me some good advice and confidence about getting rats. I went out and got my rats this morning. And they are so happy and so great!

The odd thing is that the one that was really active in her cage and came running to me when I opened the cage is just sitting in her cage terrified!! And the other one that was just like whatever, is always wanting to come out and play and is exploring every inch of the cage and my closet! I think the first one saw my cat and just freaked out...I don't know what to do. I put them both in my closet (I don't want to give them too much space just yet in case they get freaked, but my closet is pretty big) And they just ran around and I put some tunnels (ferret plastic tunnel things) and hid some treats and I sat in there with them and they had a blast. But as soon as I put them back in the cage the first one again just got real freaked out. She just sits there and doesn't move with theses huge eyes. I feel horrible, I dont know what to do. And their cage is like 3 times as big as the one in the pet store that they shared with 2 other rats, so I know she doesn't feel confined.

Do I just need to give her time or what? I know the stress of a new home is normal but I dont want her to get sick over it.

Thanks! :)
I am sure time will settle her down, too. I wanted to tell you that your story brings up memories for me. When I lived in a one-bedroom apt. with my husband and dog, I had hamsters and rats. I used to keep them in my walk-in closet! It was big enough to hold their cages and it was away from my dog. I used to let the rats run around the closet, too. I built play castles for them out of cardboard boxes. Funny, but some closets make great homes for little furry creatures! Jeesh, some closets are the size of a bedroom nowadays! ANyway, reading your post made me think of my early "rat" days. I hope your little one warms up to you soon!
Christina

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no, their cage is out in my room. I just let them run around in the closet in stead of the whole room because I have far too many pieces of furniture in my room for them to get under...and never come out of. But yeah, I've got a pretty nice set up for them in there. But I put everything up after they get their floor time and put them in their cage next to my bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts