Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up another rat this weekend. We've been talking about her since we met her a week ago, and we decided to stop by again and adopt her if she was still there.

Now our cage smells like the pet store. You know what I mean, right? Your rats have a certain smell you're used to (or no smell depending on how devoted you are to cage-cleaning). Now our cage smells like the pet store.

I'm guessing it's because she still has their food in her system and needs to work it out. We have her on the same lab blocks as the rest of our girls.

Is this typical for anyone else who buys from a pet store?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah I dislike other rat smells :/ even my friends rats smell different than mine and I find it unpleasant. Pet store rats always smell sour to me, or like dirty bedding and I HATE it. My babies always smell a little salty sweet <3 excpt for my girls... They smell like death and carrion. I don't know why, they're perfectly healthy. The killed and ate three baby rats (RiP) a few months ago and the smell in the cage is gone, but no matter what I do that's their smell now. It sucks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nooooo! Now one of my established rats is starting to smell like the new rat. Ugh.

I've been holding off on giving the new rat a bath. I was hoping the other girls would be able to clean that smell off her. I don't know how long it takes for that pet store food to leech out of her system. It's only be 4 days though. If she still smells this badly this weekend, I'm going to consider giving her fur a good scrubbing with baby shampoo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts