Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens when you try to expand your rats' habitat through the unholy union of a ferret cage and a rabbit cage? The Ferrabbit Frankencage!

This feat of human absurdity really packs it all:
  • Easy to assemble!*
  • 5 decks for maximum running space!
  • Relatively stable**
  • 4 ramps, 3 water bottles, 2 litterboxes, 2 igloos, 2 cardboard boxes***, 1 spacepod, 1 wheel, and unlimited fun!
  • Easy to clean!****
  • Cat resistant!
When you've got a rabbit cage but no rabbit and a convenient opening in the ceiling of said rabbit cage, it's time to drop a rat cage on top of that baby for double the space for your mischief! Make sure you plan the placement ahead of time or otherwise have a handy bird bridge to hold that hatch open! Your rats will love the space they have in this baby, and it will stimulate their brains wondering what the heck is wrong with their humans!

*Not easy to assemble
**After securing with any clips and fasteners you can get your hands on
***Cardboard not included
****Not easy to clean

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
Lol nice i love frankincages. Looks like you would have to pull it back to the two cages to lift it into the tub to hose off though lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I am not looking forward to cleaning it. The only advantage it has in that area is we can actually fit the wheel through the door of the bottom cage (we had to disassemble the top cage to access the wheel before).

·
Registered
368 Posts
Super cool! I wish I could do that with my cage because mine is similar to the bottom rabbit one, but it doesn't have a door on top :-/

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you can get a spare door somewhere (that crappy tiny but free cage on Craigslist?), it can be easy enough to add a door, if you have pliers strong enough to cut the wire. Sand the edges down after. I've made several doors larger on cages in the past this way.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The Ferrabbit Frankencage actually turned out pretty cool! (But no, I do not envy you the cleaning of said cage.)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! :)

I love the wavy ladders!
Unfortunately they're actually pretty terrible. Sometimes they won't clip to the shelves well and they're somewhat hard to clean due to the ridges.

If you can get a spare door somewhere (that crappy tiny but free cage on Craigslist?), it can be easy enough to add a door, if you have pliers strong enough to cut the wire. Sand the edges down after. I've made several doors larger on cages in the past this way.
Interesting idea, thanks! I've been thinking of modifying the rabbit cage with some bolt cutters so the ferret cage fits on it better, maybe I could think about changing out the door as well...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts