Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I got my two boys yesterday (November 2nd) so I figured I'd start one thread for any and all pictures of them, since I love taking pictures of my animals! ;D
This also serves as a new rat mom "journal" so that I can come back to see baby pictures and see how far we've come in this new ratty adventure of ours.

These two were feeders and I'm assuming they are somewhere around 5 weeks old, but I'm not too sure. They are obviously babies though.
Oh, and by the way, I'm already suffering from GGMR... Aka Gotta Get More Rats. My mom (who hated rats) is also suffering from this condition.

~~~~~

This is Elephant.
He is a beige-y kind of color with a white belly and he has dark ruby eyes. He looks so much like a hamster to me! He has a shorter, broader head, smaller and thicker ears, and he also seems to be fluffier and lighter than Bear. He is the one who is willing to come up to me, play with my hand in the cage and sit with me when he is out, he is super calm and likes his belly rubbed. Since he looks like a hamster he reminded me the hamster from Little Bill, which is partially why I've decided to stick with the name. Elephant has pretty much worried me ever since I brought him home, he looked like a male compared to the others in the same tank at the store but when I got home and compared him with Bear... it made me think I got a female. With the help of this forum and a group on fb, I have been reassured that he is a he and will try not to stress about it much. Hopefully he doesn't surprised me.

This one is Bear.
He is a light-ish grey hooded with black eyes. He has a much narrower, longer face and has bigger, thinner ears than Elephant. He is also not as fluffy. His fur seems thinned and not as dense than Elle's fur, don't know why since his whiskers don't seem to curl at all. Maybe because he is supposedly a little bit younger? He also feels like he weighs a tiny bit more. It's so hard to explain, Elephant feels like fluff and Bear... well, you can actually feel his body lol! He is more reserved, kind of curious but cautious, in his cage and when he is out he is either in the bag away from me or if I take him out of the bag he is way more active and wants to explore. He does like to be petted though.

~~~~~

I bet you're wondering why I named them Elephant and Bear... There's no reason really. I have a mouse who I named Hippo and I thought it was funny to name such a small animal after such a large one, so I decided to try and continue that theme. Elephant stood out for the beige one because of the hamster from Little Bill and because Elephants are my favorite animal. Bear.. well it was either that or Seal.. or a human name. No human names jumped out to me and Seal.. well I didn't want to name him that because then they would both make Elephant Seal, which is another favorite animal but I wanted something different so I went with Bear. I don't know if I can keep that theme going with any future ratties, but I will surely try!

~~~~~

Here are some more pictures!
Bear:

Bear:

Bear:

Bear cuddling with Elephant's butt/tail:

Bear with Elephant's butt/tail again:

Bear sleeping:

My two boys:

In the pictures Bear seems to be washed out by the sun that was shining into the room. :(
Also, I have more pictures of Bear because my mom keeps stealing Elephant from me when I bring them out... She likes him because his man-bits aren't as big as Bear's. She hated rats before these two, especially males, but she loves them already. She just needs to get past the fact that they will have big man-bits. ;D

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Great shots :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Oh my gosh they are sooo precious!!!!!! Absolutely adorable pictures!! Congrats on your new boys!! I'm glad your mom is warming up to them!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone! I'm totally in love with them! I am slightly worried about Bear though, he has been keeping one of his eyes shut more and it seems to be slightly irritated today... Doesn't seem to bother him when I take him out to look at it, out of the cage he keeps it open. I'm going to watch him and if it gets worse or doesn't get better I'll take him to the vet.

Seeing them in their cage is also so sad! I set it up, moved them into it from their temporary one and I got to so sad. I know they need to get used to it but it's just so sad seeing them sit in the litter box. Really hope my boys settle in and Bear's eye is okay. :(

·
Registered
475 Posts
Try staying up pr waking up in the middle of the night and leave the light off or sleep with a very dim light. They should play around at some point. Since our babies are around the same age I'd imagine they'd act similarly. Mine play around some in the daytime but I'm sure they play waay more at night. In fact I'm certain because right now I'm in the process of potty training them. So before I go to bed I pick up all their little poopies and put them in the litter box and when I wake up the whole bottom floor is covered again like I never cleaned it up. So they gotta be doing something! haha c:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
[edit] I just saw your reply! I'll try t wake up in the middle of the night tonight and see how many little poops there are. I know Elephant is leaving the litter box and going around, not sure about Bear yet. Hopefully I can sneak up and see if he is out tonight! :)

I've got some more pictures!

Bear is... well, Bear. He is still shy, he will make an effort to smell my hand if I put it near him but other than that he stays to himself. When I have him out for a few minutes he poops pretty much every ten seconds. When he is on my bed, he goes and explores (and poops) while Elephant will explore and then come back to me. I looked at his eye today, I think when it's slightly shut it was because he had just woken up and I think that the red that I see is just porphyrin and that it isn't irritated, but I'm obviously keeping an eye on it. I'm not used to porphyrin and it didn't cross my mind even though I read up on it when I did my research on ratties... My mom freaked out when she had seen it and so I think that's what made it not cross my mind until today.

Elephant is just the cutest. He loves being with me and surprisingly doesn't pee or poop on me every few seconds. He went five or so minutes last night on my bed playing in my shirt, running around, he spazzed out whenever I'd "tickle" him, he'd do a kind of run/jump thing away then came back and did it again lol and he was licking me ALL over my fingers, belly and my mouth lol! He likes giving nibbles too, especially on the corners of my nails, and I'll admit that I'm scared when he does but thankfully he is patient so when I make a little squeak (because I get a little too scared, I have a history of small animals aggressively biting me) he stops and then continues even softer after he gives me a few kisses. He also likes playing with my belly button ring, I'm not sure what he does but it feels weird when he moves it. I hate the idea of having a favorite but I think this little boy has stolen my heart already. He's also the more outgoing one and has finally started sleeping outside of the litter box. He has made a box with a piece of fleece his new bed. Bear, however, still sleeps in the litter box.

Oh, and did I say already? I saw Elephant pee in the litter box! I got SO excited. He came out of his cardboard box, came over to say hi to me, went to the water bottle and then went over to his litter box, got in, swung his butt over to the rock in there and peed! I just put fleece on the bottom today because at first I wanted to have paper towels on the bottom so it'd be easy clean up.. not one accident, but I figured that was due to the fact they spent all their time in the litter box. So today they got fleece and so far so good.

Now on to the pictures. <3
They got some time in my pockets yesterday and they each got half of a raw pasta noodle.

Squishy faces :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I slightly want them to grow bigger already lol! Of course then I'd want more babies. :p

Good news too! As far as them playing and Bear coming out of the litter box, I just went into my room and snuck up on their cage and I saw them playing! They were climbing on the bars and everything! They were play fighting and one did let out a squeak but I didn't bother them as I don't want me being worried to mess anything up. I also think I saw Bear run into the litter box and pee. ;D

Having rats is SO much different for me than all the other pets I've got. I love it! <3

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah rats are super unique but in the best kind of way! c: See! I told you. C: All rats play at some point. My little (well he used to be anyway) Thor was a very shy skittish rat and he would only play at night when the house was silent the slightest sound and he'd stop, take off toward a safe place as fast as his little feet would carry him; fear pooping all the way of course! Also when I first got my first 2 boys because thor was so shy they both slept in their litter box too. My elder boys were a lot like your abies when i first got them except they were older. Your babes are SUPER precious!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad mine weren't the only ones. :) And thanks!

Bear isn't so shy anymore, he still has nervous poops when out of the cage but today he has started trying to bolt out of the cage door. I think it's to see me but if I don't pay attention to him he tries to figure out how to climb up the side. Elephant is the love bug, he's definitely "my moms" as she loves him and he goes right in her shirt will play for a little then sleep the rest of the time he's out. I also got a new little one on Saturday of last week, from the same place I got the other two, and all three are perfectly fine. I've named the new one Archie since no other name was popping out at me. He's a black Berkshire (I think?) Dumbo and he's pretty much like Elephant, except he likes to play a bit more. He's also my climber, he was the first to climb all over, the other two just recently doing so. Elephant and Archie both LOVE to play with my hands. When I'm cleaning up the few poops outside of the litter box they like coming up and getting "tickled", then they run around the cage and come back. All three are lickers, Archie and Elephant like to nibble as well but Bear has only nibbled once or twice. And can I just say that rats grow fast? My mom said E and B grew last week but they looked the same to me.. I looked at pictures from the first day when they could both pretty much be in hand, and they've grown quite a bit! Now B can't fit in my hand as comfortable anymore.

Their cage is also starting to look like a "rat cage"! I've finally gotten my parents to bring down the sewing machine and I sewed my first flat hammock and bunk bed hammock. I'm super proud and this is only the start of it lol!

B's nose is also darker than the rest of his head right now, it's so weird.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Anytime! c: That's great! i'm so glad he's getting better! You're babes sound so much like my babes! It's really uncanny! My little Quinn is my cuddle bug(like elephant) and Potter is my little adventurer (like archie) haha and then there's Vincent(the fear pooper) he fear poops when he's out too and he also comes tothecage door to greet me. i hope he will get better and stop being so nervous because (of course as it would just so happen) he's my russian blue velveteen rat so h's *SUPER* soft. Congrats on archie! He's beautiful! c: yeah mine are so similar! haha They really do!! igotmy boys at 5 weeksthey are 7weeks as of thursday andthey are 2xs the sizethey were when igot them! You're rat cage looks great! I *LOVE* the Thor hammocks!!!!!!!!!!! 8D I wish i could sew :( Lucky! i'm really jealous ofthe thor stuff!! And they look really great!! You did a great job!! B is*ADORABLE*!!! He might look like that because he started his first moult but he isn't done yet. (please excuse the horrible typos i'm really sorry i'monly able to use one hand right now and of course it would be my left one)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you both. :)

Some sad news... I had to have Bear put to sleep today. About a week ago he got a slight head tilt, I was going to take him to the vet when I got paid but it turned out that I wasn't getting paid that week so I had to wait. About Thursday, pretty much over night, he went from a healthy weight to thin and not being excited to see me. I started making mushes for him and trying to syringe feed him on Thursday, not forcing anything. Friday morning I noticed he was no longer using one of his back legs and that it was swollen.. His testicles also started swelling and hardening over that day. Saturday came, he started slightly using his back leg again and I started force feeding him water and mush as he was no longer getting up to eat or drink in the cage. Saturday night, he seemed a tiny bit better, I saw him wobble to the water bottle and nibble on a bit of food. Sunday morning he was not using one of his front legs as much, he was starting to lay in one spot while out with me (in the cage he stayed in one spot and he started doing that outside of the cage on Sunday... before Sunday he would wobble around the blanket to get comfortable). Sunday he was also just having more mobility issues in general like wobbling, leaning to one side, not being able to balance on his hind legs. I decided that on Monday (today) I needed to take him to be put down, I really think the way he was acting that it was time.. My mom and I decided to have an appointment though, that way we could see if there was anything that could be done... The vet said there was so many different things, I don't even remember everything she said.. She said something about neurological/nerve damage which could explain his smaller/sunken in eye, she said some big medical term and it may be some kind of blood infection... She pretty much said it was either put him to sleep or they could give him a shot and antibiotics, then wait a few days and if he didn't get better he'd have to be put down.. I felt that I couldn't make him suffer any longer.. I feel so bad that I couldn't get him in fast enough.. At least my baby boy isn't suffering any more though.. I really think he was my heart rat. He meant SO much to me, it's crazy. It was such a short, but amazing, 3 weeks with him..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you. The support from the group on FB has been so amazing. <3

Just thought I'd share it here, I lost Elephant yesterday as well. The vet said it was likely a blood infection type of thing and possibly a secondary issue like a URI.. I think she was right with the URI as Elephant showed signs of having one on Sunday night, over night he lost a lot of weight and started clicking noises... I got my mom to go get medicine for him on Monday but he passed away right before we could give it to him. I'm now giving Archie medicine just in case, he's had random sneezes but I want to make sure I can nip this in the butt before it gets to anything else. I'm not getting Archie any new friends until about 6 weeks or longer depending on if he gets any worse/better and when I can find a boy or two. Hopefully since he's my monster boy he can pull through this and not get it or he will be able to get rid of it.

I've also decided to get my next ratties from a good breeder or to adopt some.. I knew when I got my boys that I was taking major chances and all odds were stacked against me. Not only did I get them from a pet store, but I got them from one of the worst pet stores in the area. Petsmart and Petco are better places to get animals than the place I went to, which should say something. I knew this from the beginning but I still went through with it, which is my fault for putting my heart through this. However, I know that I've done everything possible given the situation. Archie is an active little bugger, he has been getting TONS of shoulder/lap time and TONS of extra foods to keep his weight up and has been getting meds for the issue. I have high hopes for my little man but knowing he came from the same place, it does cross my mind that it could be a matter of time. I will upload pictures of him tomorrow when I get new ones, he's so chunky and playful <3

·
Registered
544 Posts
Awh! I'm so so sorry to hear about Elephant and Bear :( *hugs!*
I've been reading this thread and loved hearing about how their personalities were really starting to come through.

I wish you luck with your remaining boy! Archie is an adorable name by the way!

Look forward to seeing some more photos :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you two! It was really hard for me to lose them both but I put my all into Archie and he is still doing fantastic, thankfully. <3

I know I said I would get pictures the day after I posted my last update... but I was super busy caring for him lol! He's HUGE now though. I'd say he is about 9.5 weeks old now? I looked up when ratties stop growing and we've got a few months until he is fully grown, I honestly can't even imagine how big he's going to get. He's probably normal sized, but to everyone in my family he is a monster! :p He has really come out of his shell as well. He's always been active but now he's just all over the place. He goes CRAZY on the couch for play time. He runs away, runs back to my hand, runs away, does jumpy/spinny things (similar to a rabbit binky or guinea pig popcorn), runs some more, runs down to my pant leg to run into it, then back out. He's crazy haha. He loves doing small nibbles/grabbing and tumbling around my hand and running away then coming back, I'm assuming he's trying to get me to play too? He's super smart as well, he knows one cabinet has his treats so he freaks out on my shoulder when he sees me messing around in it lol!

Most recent pictures, taken yesterday. He doesn't sit still, obviously lol. :)

(The little towel was there because he likes peeing on the couch)

The first two are from the first day I got him on Nov. 11th. The last two are from Dec. 3rd.

He is still alone since I wanted to make sure he was healthy before I brought a new one home. The breeder I originally wanted to go to sold her hairless male from the last litter already, so I'm currently in contact with a closer breeder and she is holding a Blue Hooded Rex for me. I figure I would get Archie a friend now from a closer breeder and then later on when the other breeder has another hairless male I will get two from her.. that way if it's a few months down the road I will have two babies the same age, I also didn't want to make my parents drive a 6 hour round trip twice lol.. Once is pushing it for them, but they know I've wanted a hairless animal since I was about 5 years old. The closer breeder says my boy will be ready on December 30th but I'm really thinking about asking her to hold him until the first week of January, that way it gives me a little bit more time to watch Archie alone and it will also mean the baby will be a couple of days/a week older than 5 weeks that way when quarantine is done he will be 8-10 weeks old. I plan on doing 3-4 weeks, the absolute minimum quarantine time would be 2 weeks.. but I'm scared so I'm going to stick with 3-4. :p
Sadly, I can't have anyone keep the new ratty at their house for quarantine so I have to keep them on separate sides of the house and make sure I change clothes and will shower before going back into my room every day.

I thought I'd share pictures of the new baby though!
Here's him a few weeks ago

Here's the updated picture I got

I think he may be a poor rex? I'm not sure but I absolutely love him. He reminded me of Bear (minus the different shade of blue and the fact this boy is rex of course), which I guess is why I was drawn to him and not the others... I did think about also getting the agouti hooded rex, but I decided against it since I'll be going to the other breeder later on and my cage can only hold four rats.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts