Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted before about finding out that I am allergic to rats. I was really hoping the meds would work. And the strong stuff that I had to take for so many days did do wonders.. But it isn't what I take daily, and what I take daily didn't cut it. I thought all was well, and getting better. I was happy with the results. And then I went camping (still taking the meds), and came back home to our rat, and had a terrible reaction. Then my daughter began showing symptoms. So we had to rehome her. :'( Knowing that was a possibility when I first found out about the allergy, I had already lined up a very nice home for her, just in case. Sadly.. It turned out to be the case.
I had developed a pretty strong bond with her, and I could tell the feeling was mutual. So this has broken my heart a little bit. I am not sure if I will ever find another animal like a rat.. I feel that a different kind of animal would just be disappointing at this point. I didn't know how delightful they were until we had Colby, and once I found out I never planned to live without rats in my life again. So, it is upsetting. So I guess I don't need this forum anymore. I do want to thank those of you who have been so very nice and accommodating, helpful and sincere. I know there were some conversations I found distasteful, but the majority have been so kind. So thanks! I want you guys to know you make rat ownership that much more pleasant and you are big assets to the rattie community. Much love

·
Registered
966 Posts
What symptoms did you and your daughter have? Just incase my daughter develops allergies to them(since they are in her room) I will know what to look for and also know if its them causing a problem.

Ps: sorry it didnt work out :(

81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having trouble quoting.. But the symptoms were trouble breathing, itchy watery eyes, sneezing, and towards the end there severe breakouts for me and worsening symptoms and welting and swelling around scratches for my daughter. I really noticed her symptoms more from her behavior, as she is young and doesn't consistently voice feeling bad. She took more naps, developed a stuffy nose, and her eyes looked puffy.
As for us, we "took a break" (went camping) for a few days to make sure this is what it was. Everything cleared up within those few days camping. We came back, and BAM! the symptoms hit like a freight train. So there was no denying it. :(

·
Registered
273 Posts
I do understand your feelings. I had to give up Simon after a horrible attack of allergies to him. It was as if I was being bitten by something from my insides out and the meds weren't working at all. I had to return him to the rescue. :(
What I did, because I couldn't live without a rat and missed him so much, is I got a hairless female. For some reason I'm not at all allergic to her at all. Then I got her a hairless female friend for her and I'm fine.It's been 8 months and no problems. Maybe when you're ready, you can try a hairless female and see if you're ok with them. I'm so sorry you are going through this, but with two people in the family sufferring, you only did the right thing. (hugs)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry, what a shame for you and your family. I understand the pain of allergies, I have them pretty bad myself and they are really not easy to live with. I live in hope that the reactions might lessen with time. Since its just me, I muddle along, but if I had a young child that was also showing symptoms then I imagine I would have to make some difficult decisions. HlBest wishes Quest, was nice having you around :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Also, I thought I'd mention that I was covered in welts from head to toe and to this day have have scars from them. They were deep and the doctor said she had seen this before on a lady who had a hamster.The flu symptoms were brutal. Weak, sore throat, and so itchy. It's been 8 months and none had come back, but after I parted with Simon, for two to three months I'd still have a break out of them on and off but not as severe. I had to stay on antibiotics for a while after he left. It was one of the worse things I had gone through but I'm clear of it now. I develeped a fear of touching the furry rats even though I love them so much. :(

81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, where she is now I can (and will) visit her. She is with friends. But I am afraid that when I do so I won't be able to touch her, and my daughter as well. That would just be sad. But maybe I can just slip her some of her favorite treats or something. I don't know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts