Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the best pics tonight I'm afraid - it's 12:30am and I've finally finished my 5th night of work on it

bottom

fully open - excuse the mess, that's the zip ties and stuff i've had to move around to accommodate the assembling of this Beast

and doors closed

It's taken me 5 nights, 600 zip ties, 2 tins of paint, 6m of wire mesh and a whooooole load of blood, sweat and tears to get this THING finished.

Tomorrow will be the girls moving in day - I'll post some pics when I've managed to extract the girls toys from their existing cages and put it in their new one :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re: The Beast - finally finished!

It is wonderful! All your effort did pay off! :D

Show some pictures of the big day :)

·
Registered
174 Posts

Cool setup! Can't wait to see it with all the toys and hammocks and things in it! I bet your ratties will love it. And man, is it huge! :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

I'm so excited for them! Your girls will LOVE it! It looks so good!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So - they are now officially moved in :D All I need to do now is rearrange the living room to fit the cage in :D

A full frontal

The top left hand corner ontop of the shelf - the Oddballs cube (which has been very well chewed :D)

Bottom of the top left hand corner - the manditory igloo

Ivy showing off her cage - she started following me around to get in my shots o_O

Middle of the top half - the big hammock had to be placed under the shelf for Lou - she's a bit wobbly on her feet, so as a just in case she has a safety net

The hanging basket - the toys are Katie's (RIP :() and I happened across them this morning - as she can't be with the girls any more, at least part of her can join in the fun - her beloved toys

Ivy - again

Max showing off the hanging basket

Mr Bear moved too! - bottom cage, left hand corner

Bottom middle

Lou and Lily trying to escape

Ivy again again - behind her is the reminants of the pumpkin hammock that the sisters chewed to pieces - they use it as a tent now lol

Lily and Jennie showing off the castle igloo. You can see how I fixed the problem of the gap - I meshed over it and attached with zip ties :D So should I ever need to access the trays - all I have to do is cut it off

Daphne on the bottom - she's almost camoflaged

And a close up of the mesh that's covering the cage - all painted black to match the cage :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wanted to update for anyone who is perhap looking to buy something similar.

So far (it's been a month now almost), the cage has been great. Once you get over it's size it's a very low maintenance cage.

Cleaning takes a while (due to the size) but even though I am unable to remove the trays it is very easy to do. I pull everything out, clean it all, and pop it all back in again without hassle.

The mesh is working great - no bar chewing!!! Max has learnt space is much better to play with than bars.

And - major bonus; the girls only took a week to litter train. One of them seem to refuse to use the box, but 7 out of 8 of them are happily using it. Making my life much easier.

I'd reccommend it to anyone planning a big colony, once the hard work is out of the way, setting it up, meshing etc, it basically runs itself.

One thing I would mention though is that the latches on the doors catch quite often =/ a bit annoying

1 - 14 of 14 Posts