Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is totally unrealistic in most cases, but I've never had such successful bonding in rats! We adopted our two young girls Mochi and Olallie. We also adopted Gotchea's sweet boy Rocco (her two girls died unfortunately while under the care of petsitters, and Rocco was left alone. She didn't want more rats and didn't want him to live alone, so she asked us if we'd be interested in adopting her little boy, and we gladly did). All 3 rats were spayed/neutered two days ago. When I picked them up at the vets, I put the three sleepy babies all in the same crate during the drive home. They slept on and off and cuddled, but had no disagreements. They were put in their single level recovery cage all together, and had no fighting at all. It worked out so well! Especially since they were huffing and clawing at each other through the bars just days beforehand. They've been best friends ever since. Rocco and Mochi are especially close. I'm really happy it's worked out so well! I just wish it was this easy for all other intros. In a few days, they will be intro'd and hopefully move in with our senior boy Pancakes.

I'm not sure why this worked so well, but I guess it was being totally sleepy and loopy from the anesthesia, and then the rats realizing the other rats weren't a threat, so they were able to just trust them more when they woke up fully? Haha who knows, but I'm glad it worked!

·
Registered
219 Posts
First off - congrats!!
Second, i will say that technically, the carrier in the car method is a fairly common method for rats to intro / bond.
I don't know how long it has been yet, but you might be wise to keep an extra eye on them.

Also as an FYI.... Rats often huff, puff and otherwise throw fits when they are meeting through cage bars. A rat can hiss all day long at another when there is a cage / bars involved. This doesn't determine how actual intros will go.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's true. I've had the girls meet my other group of 5 (3 girls and 2 neutered boys) and it didn't go wonderfully, but it's been progressing. There is still some fighting. I didn't want Rocco to meet the girls since all 3 were unaltered, but I'm just glad the sleepy carrier method worked so well!

We will try the carrier method with the senior boy and see how that goes since it worked so well for these 3 (but worked poorly for my group of 5. But the tub method worked with my group of 5. Trial and error I suppose!).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Haha, yup, "different strokes for different folks" but uh... different intro methods for different rats. XD I'm glad it worked out for you. ^_^
I can imagine them all coming to... Looking around and thinking... "whoa! what did I do last night!?!"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts