Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"My" rats, Bacardi, Pernod, and Guinness! (My roommate started the trend and every pet since has a relatively boozy name. Except the fish... Drinks like a fish is far too obvious. :lol: )

Bacardi (And his favorite treat):

He's the oldest, very docile, loves my roomie very much, tolerates me. Will sit on shoulders, but prefers hoods.

Pernod (After burying any number of his toys):

He's the middle child, the laziest, and the most prone to biting. Usually I'm on the receiving end (after he bit me when we got him - poor little guy was scared - my roomie doesn't much like to handle him.) He doesn't like to be roused from his naps in the hammock for anything, food, the end of the world, nothin'.

And Guinness (Exploring their Easter present):

He's the newest and by far the most energetic (His nickname is Tweeker.) He will tolerate being held but isn't quite used to us yet. Beyond that, we aren't really sure of his personality yet, but for that he seems very sweet.

I'm not really sure what to call Bacardi's color... Is he brown? Or agouti or... something? Gah, I know nothing about these boys... Perry's hooded, I know that much... Black hooded, I guess? And Guinness... He's got white socks and a white spot on his tummy and a white tip on his tail. That makes him... Berkshire?

Aw well, at least they're cute.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: The Booze Boys

Yeah, Bicardi's color is Agouti. Not sure about the rest. I know colors but not markings! Too many for me to remember.

·
Registered
997 Posts

Top to bottom:

Agouti self, black hooded, black self.

Also, I think I see one of those "Snak Shacks", they're really just a waste of money. Someone had told me it may contain pine/cedar(big no no) and just the fact that there is no protective wrapping on it just irks me. After awhile of being walked on, gnawed on, peed on, pooped on, it will get nasty and will be not-so-fun for your ratties. I'd lean away from buying them, especially since they're a tad expensive. "Chubes" and similar things are prolly way worth the money. The second to largest is about $3 USD and my rats go berzerk when they don't have one. :3

EDIT: I just actually saw the little white paw of the bottom rat. That's something like an Irish marking. I'm not quite sure.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Vixie said:
Top to bottom:

Agouti self, black hooded, black self.

Also, I think I see one of those "Snak Shacks", they're really just a waste of money. Someone had told me it may contain pine/cedar(big no no) and just the fact that there is no protective wrapping on it just irks me. After awhile of being walked on, gnawed on, peed on, pooped on, it will get nasty and will be not-so-fun for your ratties. I'd lean away from buying them, especially since they're a tad expensive. "Chubes" and similar things are prolly way worth the money. The second to largest is about $3 USD and my rats go berzerk when they don't have one. :3

EDIT: I just actually saw the little white paw of the bottom rat. That's something like an Irish marking. I'm not quite sure.
Yes, that was a waste of money... but Perry did enjoy flipping it rightside wrong and then burrying it. Mild entertainment at the least. :lol: It's now gone. They have little igloos instead... those I can clean.

Yeah, Guinness isn't a self (meaning all black?). I don't think I have a better pic of him, though... he's **** on wheels, that one. :lol:

·
Registered
997 Posts

'Self' is defined as 'one color throughout the body with no other color' or something of the like. I love black self ratties cause they have little 'gloves' on their feet. It's adorable. :3

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Oh, okay! Thank you for the explanation. I suppose then that because of his tummy he couldn't be 'self'. Unless there's an exception... So confusing, this all is. :lol:

·
Registered
997 Posts

Forensic said:
Oh, okay! Thank you for the explanation. I suppose then that because of his tummy he couldn't be 'self'. Unless there's an exception... So confusing, this all is. :lol:
Hehe, it is a lot to take in at once, but you'll have it down not long from now.

If it's just a little spot on his tummy/chest, then it's Irish marking or something. A splash of color extending all across his tummy is a berkshire.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Vixie said:
Forensic said:
Hehe, it is a lot to take in at once, but you'll have it down not long from now.

If it's just a little spot on his tummy/chest, then it's Irish marking or something. A splash of color extending all across his tummy is a berkshire.
It's about the size of a pinky fingertip - he's still pretty small - but I guess that's just a spot. So... Irish Marking. Cool. :D

·
Registered
189 Posts

I've wondered much the same about what to call my rats.

So far I've come to the conclusion that Doris is either a standard self agouti, or a standard self black. Some people say she looks like a black, but wouldn't the fur actually have to be fully black? Her fur is dark, but still looks like brown to me.

I thought Milly was a standard black/white hooded, but looking at that website makes me think she may be satin rather than standard. Her fur is much longer than Doris's.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Black for on rats often has a brownish tinge to it, it can go browner with age, too ^__^ She sounds like a black self to me.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

there is also a chocolate coloring. it really dark brown, kinda looks like dark chocolate milk. but blacks can go brown with age like sara said.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

Very cute ratties :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

More piccies!

The boys have decided to play a game. It's called 'How Many Can Fit?'

For example. We all know one little rattie can fit in an igloo.

How about two?

That counts right? Okay, how about three?

Three fits, sure! Three, three fit in the igloo hahaha!

Well, how many can fit in the small hammock? Bacardi fits just fine, so...

Two! Two fit in the small hammock.

*glances about*

Now that I'm done losing my mind...

More pics of Guinness...

Guinness and Bacardi are olympic class synchronized face washers. This is a gold medal performance, folks.

Look at that poise! That... daring-do!

Anyway.

Here's the new boy, my roomie's named Baileys. He's very sweet and comes to the bars to say hello whenever you're close. He loves to be held and likes yogies (who doesn't? :lol: )

Baileys:

He's... er... ruby-eyed fawn hooded?

Beige? Um... He's .... cute. Yes. That's it. Cute.

Maybe by the time he's out of QT he'll be big enough to play with the others in the FN.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

i love the notes on the pics. very suiting and funny. baileys looks like a ruby eyed fawn hooded to me too. very sweet pictures.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

haha, i love the theme on names! :) and i especially love baileys (rodent or drink - it's delicious in EVERYTHING, lol), he's adorable!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks guys! I was trying so hard to be very objective on Baileys... but he's so frickin' cute...

He's staying. :lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts

Adorable babies. They look so happy together.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Still working on the 'together'.

Guinness thinks he's the boss of everyone. That doesn't work out well when the rat that's twice your size decides he doesn't want to put up with it. 8O

Once Bacardi, Pernod, and Guinness figure out who's alpha there's Baileys... he's more submissive, though... I hope. :lol:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts